1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread for New Jazz

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Feb 6, 2016.

1. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

2. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

Just listening to the Charles Lloyd / Frisell / Lucinda Williams album. Its very, very nice, but then I like anything with Frisell on it. Thanks for the suggestion.

3. shrink

shrink pfm Member

for some new releases that have really worked for me (both from around 2015)

Dan Nimmer Trio " tea for two"

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio "night at body and soul"

both superb recordings, and great music.

4. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I’ve been streaming the Larry Grenadier solo record “The Gleaners” this weekend.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2019/02/09/larry-grenadier-the-gleaners-2019/

Great sound - at least through Sonos. I’ve always loved bass solos but don’t have any solo bass records and have always enjoyed Grenadier’s playing both on record and live. This one is now on pre order. In places it reminds me of classical solo cello recordings.

hermit likes this.
  5. hermit

hermit pfm Member

Kokoroko have released their first 12" single. It includes Abusey Junction which first appeared on the "We Out Here" compilation album.

mikechadwick and darrenyeats like this.
  6. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I think this is jazz - he's certainly played with lots of jazz guys - either way it's getting played a lot round here.

Some other tracks sounds like Beefheart playing with a Magic Band influenced by experimental jazz/hip hop rather than the blues - it is very good!

JustJohn, paulfromcamden and herb like this.
  7. herb

herb music live

8. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I saw Ben LaMar Gay when his trio played in London a few months ago. He was fantastic and made the performance seem effortless.

kjb likes this.
  10. guey

guey pfm Member

Something I stumbled across while looking for something else by him: Tony Allen - A Tribute To Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, which sounds pretty much like you'd expect it to (no bad thing obv.)

11. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

12. guey

guey pfm Member

Heard a track off this when a mate played it on his radio show - now checking it out on their bandcamp page, and it's sounding very nice so far.
    Uniting Of Opposites - Ancient Lights
    It's got sitars and everyfink.

13. hermit

hermit pfm Member

14. hermit

hermit pfm Member

15. Devonian

Devonian Pursuing my ultimate musical orgasm

Just listening now ... really quite excellent. Shame I haven't discovered them before. Thanks for the intro!