1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread for New Jazz

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Theo

Theo pfm Member

2. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member

Taken from the album, well worth checking out imho. No fireworks but a great take on modern piano trio jazz. Superb recording too.

torstoi likes this.
  3. Engels

Engels pfm Member

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Just bought a ticket for Art Ensemble - thanks for the reminder!

5. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Really enjoying this, thanks

hermit likes this.
  6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

7. torstoi

torstoi pfm Member

Thanks for the hint,
    not speaking in absolute terms but just to my taste it doesn't happen that often
    these days something really worthwhile listening to is released.

To me '10' is an exception and is released as a 2 CD issue
    as well as a 1 LP 180gr limited edition.

SQ on both is outstanding, the creative output was big enough to offer good material to fill 2 CDs.
    So I don't see any 'B' -side material on those CDs, they are absolutely fine.

To me, particularly those with a nice MC system, the LP offers exactly the plus over CD you'd expect from a well made recording and excellently executed pressing.
    Dead flat, centric, silent good vinyl and great natural dynamics...worthwhile imo.

The LP only has half the amount of songs, so it's kind of reduced to the maxx,
    but from the homogenic feel & length of the listening experience it totally maked sense to me this way.

Both CD and LP are absolutely fine, if MC I'd tend to LP, otherwise CD.
    I have both, you might call it excessive but I'll quit the next 10 'hip' new Jazz offerings instead.

The Tony Allen-The source is nice btw, got the CD since a while.
    Not overwhelming, but solidly good...all imo of course.

Cheers & thx again for pointing me to it.
    I have a feeling I'll be digging deeper into Helge Lien's former outputs sooner or later.. :)

8. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member

Yes front man Steve Howe in trio mode. The whole album is superb :)

Stunsworth and kjb like this.
  9. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Read a review of the album by Richard Williams and gave it a listen. A few tunes are really good.

Jack

10. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member

Funny that I'd been thinking of Yes recently but never really checked them out back in the day (early 70's). Really like this, lucked out with a great vinyl copy.

11. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

12. mrlamonta

mrlamonta pfm Member

I have only heard of this jazz band recently but their debut album is sounding quite nice.

Brahja from Estonia. link to samples

13. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Binker Golding - Abstractions of Reality Past and Incredible Feathers. Well worth checking out

darrenyeats and paulfromcamden like this.
  14. kjb

kjb pfm Member

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Thanks, I had a listen on Qobuz and enjoyed what I heard.

16. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Like a lot of people here I'm currently looking back to Blue Note and other US and UK 60s stuff: I've heard very little new this year.

I did pick up Tyshawn Sorey's Verisimilitude ( from 2018) a few weeks back. Interesting, dense and fabulously recorded (especially the drums) - a sort of hybrid of jazz piano trio and some intense modern composition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verisimilitude-Tyshawn-Sorey/dp/B07215GL89

There is a new Maria Schneider record, Data Lords, is being recorded. I've bought it upfront from Artist Share - I've bought her last two records which have been played a lot and are as exquisitely composed, designed and recorded as any CD I own. She worked with Bowie on his last sessions.
    https://www.artistshare.com/Projects/Experience/1/510

17. guey

guey pfm Member

kjb likes this.
  18. guey

guey pfm Member

I'm quite tempted by the new (well, older recordings, but only just released) Matthew Halsall album, Oneness.
    New Portico Quartet album out on Friday as well, which sounds very nice from the couple of tracks up on bandcamp

hermit likes this.
  19. guey

guey pfm Member

I weakened and bought the new Matthew Halsall, and it's rather lovely.
    It's calming tones were just what I needed after a visit from an amazingly annoying and entitled client.

kjb likes this.
  20. kjb

kjb pfm Member

With a lack of foresight I’m flying out to spend a few weeks with my son in Shanghai on the 15th and returning on the 26th - absolutely covering all of the festival dates