1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread for New Jazz

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Heard some of this yesterday - my local indie shop had an advance CD - sounded really good

2. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Now available via Tidal. Superb concert!

[​IMG]

Theo and jonesi like this.
  3. dave charlton

dave charlton befuddled

Will be checking these guys out soon I hope, ...

4. hockman

hockman pfm Member

I remain unimpressed by most hyped new jazz (e.g. Kamasi, Snarky Puppy, Shabaka, Good Good Not Bad...) but I like these guys.

5. dave charlton

dave charlton befuddled

Me too but I do quite like what Marquis is saying (there's another great version on Bimhuis TV but it won't let me link).

6. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

The only Miles Davis I find myself playing these days is Bitches Brew. Listened to the first half today and can't help thinking ... 50 years old, but if it had been released in 2020 it would be very well received ... the guy was on another planet when he did this.

Engels likes this.
  7. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Sure, Miles was always ahead of the curve, looking to the future never to the past. But the perception that Bitches Brew would be well received if released today says more about the state of jazz today (and all its overhyped retro-derivative poseurs) than Miles' own path breaking endeavors.

8. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

I'd put it this way, finding ALBUMS or WORKS I like takes massive time and effort, for every 100 recommendations I read about I like maybe 1. My basic problem applies to every genre - and from the past and the present. Not that anyone's taste is static, sometimes I like a thing for a while, maybe even years, then I don't any more.

But I do seem to prefer newer albums, broadly. I think music is overall getting better over time, and there are obvious reasons that should be so, unless a new dark age occurs. Most, though definitely not all, of the albums I pick up are newer albums. But I feel the top 40 these days is a complete mess - I'm talking outside of that!

Old or new, it's easier to find individual songs I like, which I collect in Spotify playlists.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  9. dave charlton

dave charlton befuddled

I like the way this builds (and ends).

Dave G likes this.
  10. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I’m enjoying the music in The Eddy on Netflix. It has some of the best jazz I’ve seen in a tv show. Recommended if you’ve not caught up with it already.

11. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

pjstarkey and hermit like this.
  12. Theo

Theo pfm Member

I've been listening to this group quite a lot recently - Patchwork Jazz Orchestra:

Their album, "The Adventures of Mr Pottercakes" is splendid:

http://sparklabel.com/patchwork.html

A member of the band is Tom Green - check out his Septet too:

13. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

Been listening to "New Devices" by the Roller Trio, came out 2018. Very good - sax / drums / bass (+ bits of synth and guitar).

14. murphydog

murphydog Canine member

Saw them at last year’s Cambridge Jazz Festival. Excellent live set, entirely improvised.