1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread to Catalogue Austerity Britain

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ks.234, May 29, 2018.

1. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

I was pointing out the jingoistic language employed by those on the other side of the fence to that taken by the poster - that's all.

You took issue with the sensationalist exaggeration used in the description of the closures. I am simply pointing out that this is how any majority is reported these days. Statisticians have nothing to do with reporting.

2. Still

Still cadet

A bit rich coming from pfms number one advocate of unfairness.

HarryB and ks.234 like this.
  3. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I always have a slide rule in my jacket pocket, If there were more people like me slide rule manufacturers would be doing O.K.

Mind you I never wear a jacket these days.

TheDecameron and HarryB like this.
  4. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

You did not point that out, you may have intended that but you just gave an alternative quote of:

I took issue with what the poster HarryB wrote, and said his quote was not commensurate with the actual numbers. No where until now do you refer to reporting......you appear to be deliberately obfuscating to derail the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2018
  5. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Not at all GT - You are simply misinterpreting what I wrote.

You rightly took issue with 52% being stated as "nearly all". I was pointing out that the same percentage was referred to as a "substantial majority" by prominent Leave campaigners following the EU Referendum.

52% is simply not represented as "about half" in any publicity or press coverage in the 21st century- however sensible your (and indeed my) reading of the figure is.

6. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

52% is about half.
    It’s also a majority.
    It’s not a “substantial” majority.

7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

This is true, but Boris categorised it as such, after the referendum.

Which was Merlin's point.

I got it immediately. Evidently GT didn't, but to be honest, Merlin's gag wouldn't have worked at all if he'd explained it in the same post, would it?

8. gintonic

so now a joke at the expense of a failing business and the loss of 1000s of jobs. There was no hint of gag in that quote.

9. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

To get back on topic. Austerity Nritain is now so bad that even a chain of pound shops is in the mire.

How do we blame this on online shopping?

10. gintonic

Actually eBay and it's convenience must have some impact, people have worked that they sell tat, and they can afford to shop in Tesco/Asda and elsewhere.

11. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Sorry, I don't understand a word of that.

12. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Yes, I got it too.

13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

How utterly dare you. At least 10,000 of mine were made from the bath.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

How many from the bog?

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Hard to put a figure on but they are certainly in there. Bed, airports, trams, ferries,trains and hotel rooms are regular venues for posting. I rarely did it in meetings in recent years.

To return to the thread topic, Poundworld are calling in the administrators. I imagine with significant inflation, selling everything for a quid can become a noose round your neck.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44383097

16. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

I once purchased some superb drinking glasses from poundworld, their screwdrivers are rubbish thou
    My posts dictate most of mine are made standing, fists clenched, arms asunder :D
    Usually sitting, relaxed with a big cheeky smile on my face would be more accurate

17. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

Try answering my comment, if you can.

Chris

18. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Says bloke who rarely answers a question. What do you want to know?

vuk and Still like this.
  19. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

[​IMG]

HarryB and Still like this.
  20. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Get some money on New Look biting the dust soon.

And before anybody blames the decline in the high street, you'll see their online sales were crap as well.

Top and bottom of it is, the Tories have tanked the economy. No pay rises for people and rising personal debt levels means a lack of disposable income. Go figure.

Still and ks.234 like this.