1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to praise courier services

Discussion in 'off topic' started by timH, May 21, 2020.

1. timH

timH pfm Member

I for one have had sterling service from couriers in terms of delivering to me. They are probably keeping what’s left of the economy going. And getting paid peanuts for 70 drops a day so I say well done all of them

ff1d1l, hifinutt, Fatmarley and 8 others like this.
  2. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Having worked as a courier, both van and motorbike for a year or 2 in London long ago I can agree. It's a long day for reasonable wages. Not especially tough if a bit of planning is written in, but I did find that individual 'drivers' were pretty varied, from the 'long lunch, throw it in the van, throw it out and home as soon as' boys to some who actually cared and took care. There wasn't (in my time) and company ethic, just a need to move as many parcels as you could in a day, but maybe that's now changed.

3. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

Same here, the couriers do a great job and nowadays they even manage to find our remote cottage. The Hermes delivery folks live just up the road, a really nice family, and know exactly where to leave parcels if we're out.

4. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

For what I have used courier services for, I can’t complain in any way. Dental mouldings, corner sofas, records, everything always arrived on time. About mistakes: I expect my boss to pardon me when I make some that are not too bad, and I am not sure that consequences of delays are always that severe as they are presented.

5. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

DPD have been incredible. All the drivers have been good eggs too.

But DHL can f off.

eevo1969 likes this.
  6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

DPD are marvellous , really like them and great service

richardg likes this.
  7. eevo1969

eevo1969 pfm Member

Totally agree regarding DPD, excellent service. No problems whatsoever whenever I use them.
    The same driver always collects from me, nice man.

Earlier this week I walked past a courier who had just delivered up the road and was in the back of his van sorting out the parcels. Nothing was placed, every package was thrown.
    I didn’t know what company as it was a plain white van so I assume a self employed/agency driver. Not thrown with force, more arced trajectories.

I was horrified as I am and have been waiting for packages this week and could imagine the fragile equipment I have paid for being in this particular drivers hands. Giving this guy a turntable or a tone arm could be disastrous. Very worrying.

8. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

A couple of points:

It's pretty well known amongst those who need to send stuff by courier.. that the onus is very much on the sender to ensure that their parcel and contents can survive the process. I worked with a valve amp manufacturer a couple of decades ago... who explained to me that his products needed to be packed in such a way as to survive being dropped 1 metre from the tail of a truck, or alternately 'launched' from the back to the front of a truck. I am talking amps weighing 27 Kgs and upwards.

The days when a brittle 78 r.p.m record could be sent via the 'GPO' with a destination label simply tied through the centre hole.. are long gone.

More recently, I received three Tomato plants in totally hopeless packaging.. They were rattling around in a box, such that the stem of one was snapped off and the other two had lost around 60/80% of their foliage.

An email elicited an almost hysterical response along the lines of 'We are doing our best. we are overwhelmed.. it's taking us longer to process orders.. our carriers are under pressure.. etc.. blah blah." Two weeks on.. they still haven't responded to the specific point that it was not delivery times, unprecedented demand, delays etc., which caused my problem. It was shit packaging. End of. The company was Dobies.

I hasten to add that I have received several wine deliveries, assorted electronics from Amazon, a PSU for my Innuos Zen Mini, LED lamps, and lots of other stuff all without mishap.

9. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

This week I've received two small packages from the UK, which were both mailed in mid-March, thanks to the combined efforts of the Royal Post and the USPS.

10. fegs

fegs Well-Known Member

Destroy it, Hide it, lose it as we call them

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

Try Hayloft for mail order plants (think they do veg as well as borders). Always good plants and well packed, in my experience, and seem very willing to sort out any issues.