1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Sep 24, 2015.

1. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Completely agree! And the terrible thing is that it is 100% realism. There are parts of Naples that are really, shamefully, like that. (Alas!)

2. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

One of the fonts used in the hacking scenes would not have been available to a domestic computer user in 1985. It is such a shame that a glaring historical inaccuracy should have been allowed to slip into the final production.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Agreed, but in fairness the rest was spot on.

4. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Blimey! Do you think Kung Fury, like, really exists? Hilarious!

5. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

It had the real Thor in it, so it must be real.

Ally

6. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom

http://www.netflix.com/title/80031666

Filmed in 2014, this amazing documentary shows how Ukrainian protesters forced Viktor Yanukovych to resign the presidency, and seek asylum in Putin's Russia.

Warning - the videos of police brutality are often difficult to watch. The Berkut and their hired thugs killed 125 people, and 65 protesters who were kidnapped are still missing.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Terrestrial TV was so awful last night I dived into Netflix and watched Particle Fever, a documentary about the Large Hadron Collider. A really well made film and well worth a watch IMHO.

8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Ha. You won't have time to contribute on here for about a year

9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Particle Fever.
    Worth it for the opening titles alone.

10. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

I've already watched all of them.:D
    Fanatics show, up there with The Wire and you don't get any better than that.

11. bownose

bownose pfm Member

Just finished "the man in the high castle" an alternative history where Nazis won the WW2 occupying the USA nuking Washington (in the book) and an uneasy alliance with Japan who occupy the former USA west coast.

Enjoyed it a lot. A lot of different character threads that pull together by ep8... Ridley Scott's production company and extremely good soundtrack. Cinematic.

Edit: oops, forgot to add an Amazon prime series

12. Jonathan Ribee

I wonder how much Ridley Scott was involved with The Man In The High Castle? Given the obvious link with one of the few novel adaptations - Blade Runner / Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Radio Free Albemuth and A Scanner Darkly were (I think) the only other novel adaptations. Given the list of films based on Dick's short stories, some only a few pages long - Imposter, Minority Report, Total Recall, Paycheck, The Adjustment Bureau, Screamers, Next - probably a couple of others. Lots of good reasons why of course.

Scott, Dick and the length of a TV series to play with.

I'm excited.

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I was greatly disappointed with the end of the most recent series of House of Cards.
    Not to spoil it for others but the sudden character switches were weird.

14. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears pfm Member

When is the fourth season coming ? I want it now.

15. bownose

bownose pfm Member

I must admit I like PKD as an ideas guy more than his actual writing, he has these immense grandiose directions that he does very little with, it's as if the muse had created him as the ultimate elevator pitch author. But his short stories are so packed with ideas, if often flies past me on a first read... I sat watching and when they said Heisenberg machine initially I thought Oppenheimer surely... Only until episode 8 did that get cleared up.

The man in the high castle is incredibly dense cinematography, most of what is done is down with light and smoke -- thank goodness actors can now smoke on screen again, smoking cigarettes is cool as hell to watch and in Dick's universe, smoking seemed to be non carcinogenic. Even the family doctor offered obergruppenfurer John Smith a cigarette but then it was the early 1960s... Shrug maybe no one knew in this alternate universe either...

Anyway enough near-spoilers, liked it a lot. I am going to binge watch it again over the holidays.

I would like to see UBIK as an adaptation.

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Don't bother with Ridiculous 6, unless you're aged 6.

It's in 4K, but Adam Sandler is in it. 'Nuff said.

17. bownose

bownose pfm Member

That's a shame, the donkey looked cute.

18. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I will forgive it if the fourth series is the last: i.e. finishes with the original version's ending. If not, I fear the thing could do a Dexter.

19. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Oh, and how about that Narcos? Beautifully done.

20. Jonathan Ribee

A good UBIK would be cool.

As soon as The Man... migrates to iTunes I shall binge watch it also.

We're only a couple of weeks away from having a complete The Bridge (season 3) and Fargo (season 2) to binge watch when avoiding them christians and their zombie god festival.