1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bownose

bownose pfm Member

Getting into narcos now, it's really well shot, I do not know what the filter of network to is but the moment you remove it, shows become much more interesting to watch... And listen to, narcos has a great soundtrack.

Another show I liked on Netflix was Marvel's Jessica Jones, expecting another generic superhero show, ends up a tense psychodrama about obsessives, rape survival and guilt -- a thoroughly creepy David Tenant made it quite compelling for me. That said I think they should leave it there and not do a season 2. It was just about to peak.

2. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I managed to make it all the way through the eight series of Dexter. Can't remember what it's about though, apart from the fact that the sun shone a lot and people died messily.

Awaiting Narcos 2. Pablo Esbobar almost made large scale drug smuggling glamorous. It must be difficult being the 7th richest man in the world and having so much money you don't know how to spend it.

Escobar did have a bit of a temper though, so it's probably a good thing that he didn't become the President of Columbia.

I am just about to start watching The Man in the High Castle. I am a big Philip K. Dick fan, and Ridley Scott ain't bad, so I am looking forward to it.

Jack

3. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

You'll have a great time watching those - probably my favourite two drama series of the year.

Mick

4. JamesJamerson

JamesJamerson pfm Member

"Best of Enemies". Documentary on Netflix about the 1968 TV conversations between Gore Vidal and William Buckley Jnr. I had forgotten how left wing and radical Vidal was. I could listen to him all day long. Corbyn with brains really.

5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Just seen it. Excellent - and a very good 5.1 soundtrack.

6. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Had the honour or spending an afternoon with Vidal once. Fascinating.

7. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I noticed a documentary on H R Giger on Netflix US, for anyone in the States or using an unblocking service.

Mick

8. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Agreed, I watched it too yesterday.

Also watched The Watchmaker's Apprentice, a gentle and meticulously paced documentary about bespoke watchmaker George Daniels and his apprentice Roger Smith. While I haven't really got any desire to own a great watch, this was an amazing and fascinating insight into absolutely first class craftsmanship, obsession, innovation and precision engineering. Strongly recommended whether you're a watch aficionado or not.

Edit: Netflix

Rich

9. mark-hants

mark-hants pfm Member

I have no idea what's on Netflix these days but that's a very decent film.

10. bownose

bownose pfm Member

I use https://flixsearch.io

If it's not available in the country I am in I use Hidemyass to change country and I'm in. Geolocking feels stupid in this day and age, but needs must.

11. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Last night we watched Still Alice, incredible performance from Julieanne Moore playing a 50 year old professor whose life is devastated by Alzheimers, Kristen Stewart excellent too.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Kurt Cobain Montage Of Heck has just appeared. Worth watching, though hugely diminished by the very obvious absence of Dave Grohl (apparently he did an interview but it missed the final cut due to being filmed too late). The home footage late on is pretty crazy looking, though it stops at Cobain's death so don't expect any new insights or revelations.

13. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

I had that running on the TV for about 25 minutes whilst I surfed for a movie on the iPad last night - very sad seeing the home movies of the beautiful young child and knowing his tragic end.

14. taffyboy1

taffyboy1 pfm Member

Documentary on photographer Don McCullin, amazing !

15. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

I got as far as episode 5 and gave up. It's just sooooo slow. I couldn't wait any longer for something, anything to happen..

16. JamesJamerson

JamesJamerson pfm Member

Anthony Jeselnik - Thoughts & Prayers. Standup who makes Frankie Boyle sound like Ronnie Corbett.

Iceberg Slim - Portrait of a Pimp. Thought it was a mockumentary at first, but, it's not. Variation on the Jimmy Boyle story but with better suits.

Alternative to Netflix if all that Bollywood crap & cartoons is getting on your nerves:

https://mubi.com/

17. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Better Call Saul Season 2 is now on Netflix.

18. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

The Fighter is OK, no Raging Bull but good performances from Wahlberg and Bale.

19. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

*sigh* Not here it isn't....

20. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

E-Team (2014). Excellent documentary about some very brave people...

When atrocities are committed in countries held hostage by ruthless dictators, Human Rights Watch sends in the E-Team (Emergencies Team), a collection of fiercely intelligent individuals hired to document war crimes and report them to the rest of the world. Within this volatile climate, filmmakers Ross Kauffman and Katy Chevigny take us to the frontline in Syria and Libya, where shrapnel, bullet holes, and unmarked graves provide mounting evidence of coordinated attacks conducted by Bashar al-Assad and the now-deceased Muammar Gaddafi. The crimes are rampant, random, and often undocumented, making E-Team's effort to get information out of the country and into the hands of media outlets and criminal courts all the more necessary.