1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Sep 24, 2015.

1. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Valley Uprising on Netflix looks at the characters who wanted to climb a sheer rock face of 3000ft in Yosemite Park. All sorts were attracted to this madness including the guys who did it while on acid. If I could climb 30ft on a rock face I would feel like Superman.

2. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Not a fan of Ricky Gervais but After Life is amazing.

rbrown, cooky1257, Mr Cat and 3 others like this.
  3. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Yes it looks right up my street, will have to check it out

Sweary warning.

jtrade likes this.
  4. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

I have just discovered the content on 'The Roku Channel,' freely available with some commercial interruption in the U.S. It's what Netflix used to be, a decently-curated list drawing from the entire history of movies and video (mostly fairly modern but dipping back into the 1930's occasionally). Actually, I think it makes the current Netflix lineup look sick (only because it is).

I'm going to list some titles. This is not cherry-picked, this is what's at the top of the respective categories, in order:

FEATURED VIDEOS
    National Lampoon's Vacation, Little Miss Sunshine, Shitt's Creek, Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Jumansi, Men in Black, Men in Black II

NEW THIS MONTH
    Any Given Sunday, Outbreak, Coneheads, Brady Bunch Movie, The Stepford Wives, Legally Blond, Riki and the Flash

SCI-FI
    Robocop, Masters of Science Fiction, Flash Gordon,* Planet Raptor, Night Man, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda

* Appears several times, they seem to have all the 1930's serials. Saturday morning nostalgia for me.

OK, it's escapist fare, not much 'East of Eden' type offerings. But I have East of Eden available if I want it, but haven't watched for a long time....

Anyway, I think my Netflix subscription is in peril.....

5. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Wow that’s superb. Just finished binge watching it.

6. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Yep, After Life is great :)

7. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Late to the party but I'm halfway through Maniac and I'm hooked:
    It's funny and sad in equal measures and occasionally quite bonkers.

If you're looking for something original and unpredictable, give it a try.

8. Amber Audio

Amber Audio Trade: Amber Audio

Just popped in to recommend it and see I’m a bit late. Really did not like the office at all but this is on a different level.

9. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Did the same last night. As you say, superb.

10. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Thanks for the recommendation - it's marvellous!

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I'll have to watch it too...

I did watch - 'behind the curve' last night, and it confirms my thoughts about the flat earth theories...that they're a pretty sad bunch really... seems they just wanted to be part of a 'club' and this one seemed to fit.. :( the ending was pretty apt as they did a test that would prove the earth was flat, and it of course failed... :D

12. gassor

Suburra season 2 so far, so great. Gangsters in Rome with Shakespearean themes (not another one!) eg betrayal, vengeance, family, incest and gay rights as a gang member. OK not quite what the Bard wrote about, but anyway Giacomo Ferrara as Alberto ‘Spadino’ Anacleti, is brilliant.

13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I watched the first 2 episodes of afterlife last night... very good :)

14. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Really enjoying this, thanks, although it has taken till Episode 4 to realise that I have started with Season 2 :oops:

BLACKMASS likes this.
  15. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

#FACEPALM laffin!

jtrade likes this.
  16. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Just the first one here, right up my street, brilliant

Mr Cat likes this.
  17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Exactly my thoughts too.

18. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Enjoying “Dogs of Berlin”. Enjoyed “Afterlife”. Enjoying this thread, too: lots of good suggestions!

19. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Free Solo is now available on Amazon Prime.

20. gassor

Exactly. Seems to work on a number of levels including how we live our lives.

fatmarley and Mr Cat like this.