1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

Discussion in 'off topic' started by windhoek, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Enjoying 'Black Earth Rising' on BBC 2.

Cheers BB

2. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

3. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Vic & Bob's Big Night Out BBC4

..." 'ere Bob, can you do this?"

4. guey

guey pfm Member

As brilliantly daft as ever.

Not watched it yet, but there's a Young Offenders Christmas special on iplayer. If it's anything as good as the series or fillum, then it should be a cracker.

kendo likes this.
  5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Looking back over this stuff, you’d think you were reading about Chile in the 70s or events from the fall of Ceaușescu in Romania, not Britain. Perhaps some appropriate viewing for Mogg and EV over the holiday?

gassor likes this.
  6. Still

Still beware of the duck

windhoek likes this.
  7. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

^^^ +1

I started watching the Bros doc last night and it's laugh out loud funny in a Spinal Tap kinda way. Hard to believe it's not a parody.

I'm also enjoying the ABC Murders ("Agatha Christie for people who don't like Agatha Christie" as its critics say).

8. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

9. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

That’s because they changed the plot and characters, killing off one favourite and not bothering to have another in it at all. Everything that makes Poirot interesting is missing from Malkovich’s portrayal.

Not seen the end yet, but if last year’s adaptation was anything to go by they’ll change the murderer too.

Stephen

10. guey

guey pfm Member

Somewhat disappointing - rather too much Christmas saccharine.

Still likes this.
  11. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Watched the first episode of Les Misérables last night. I’m not really much of a costume drama fan, but thought it was superb. There wasn’t a week link in the cast. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

12. Still

Still beware of the duck

Excellent and currently poignant: The Hartlepool Spy, a Comedy-Drama by Ian Martin (VEEP).
    1804: A French warship is wrecked in Hartlepool. Is the survivor a spy?
    Starring Michael Palin, Jim Moir, Toby Jones, Gina McKee & Monica Dolan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001qvl

John.P likes this.
  13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The two-part BBC 4 Storyville program on Waco/David Koresh that concluded last night was rather interesting. No shortage of idiocy on all sides there by the looks of things.

14. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

The ABC Murders. A brilliant reimagining of the Poirot character.

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Missed it, I thought it was a repeat of the first episode. IPlayer beckons.

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Pretty harrowing viewing but worth getting though. Given both sides' attitudes, the end was inevitable.

What is scary is that the whole thing didn't shake the surviving branch davidians' beliefs.

17. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Earth's Great Rivers - stunning.

Salamander likes this.
  18. mhv

mhv pfm Member

The brilliant ‘I, Daniel Blake’ on BBC 2 at 21:45 tonight. Should be on earlier, but hey.

fatmarley and Engels like this.
  19. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Billy Connolly: Made in Scotland - a "two-part series with intimate interviews with Billy Connolly, providing unique insight into the early influences and motivations that made this comedy legend the man he is today."

Although I'm too young to have seen first hand or remember many of the things he speaks about, I recognise the things he speaks about as being part of my cultural identity and heritage all the same. I wouldn't describe the programme as a comedy show per se, but seeing as it's about Billy Connolly, the conversational humour is there to see.

John.P, Engels, MikeMA and 1 other person like this.
  20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Watched that on i-player and called the youngest in to watch the Gay Gordon's bit. He'd seen a tiny bit of Billy before and not been that impressed. He laughed.
    Clearly he's one of the best comedians ever...though no man is without flaw.

Engels likes this.