1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

Discussion in 'off topic' started by windhoek, Jan 28, 2017.

1. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

Just rewatched The War Game, about a nuclear attack in the 1960s. Last saw it in the 80s and it’s still powerful.

2. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

This fixating on weather presenters and news readers is a bit sad old git from the Daily Express.

3. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I would like to mention the All4 app here for C4 programmes. Just finished the "Ballymurphy Murders" a documentary about the horrendous events perpetrated by the Paras on unarmed civilians in the early 70s. 10 people were shot dead on the streets of West Belfast that day with no help for the wounded who were left to bleed to death. The Paras allege a woman (granny of 47 years) was firing on them with a machine gun from the middle of some waste ground. A priest who went to help the wounded was also shot dead.

After that little affray, the same battalion was sent by the army chiefs who must have known what happened previously to deal with some pesky Catholics demonstrating for equal rights. That event became known as Bloody Sunday, but Ballmurphy has received little attention, although now it will be investigated later in the year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...phy-needs-to-be-told-and-here-s-why-1.3624053

TheDecameron likes this.
  4. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Anyone watching Bodyguard or the first episode of Black Earth Rising? We're enjoying both here.

The upcoming (starts Saturday) Killing Eve looks like it's going to be worth watching.

5. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Killing Eve.
    On now.

6. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Killing Eve. Gripping and hilarious in equal measure. Must admit I don't usually like 'black comedy', but this is superb.

Bodyguard. Excellent too. Pretty imprenetrable .. but then I'm not very bright.

Trust. Also pretty good.

I only have a few 'must watch' programmes, and I like to watch them at their normal broadcast time. Somehow a recording puts them into the wrong context for me and I enjoy them a bit less.

University Challenge. This prog is Monday evening. All the better when followed by Connect 4. Noticeable on UC that the Quentins, Peregrines and Jocastas are in the majority again, although being numerically challenged by the 'foreign' students. UK education policy influencing UC.. Who'd have imagined...?

Gardener's World. I'm far from a 'keen' gardener. 'Dutiful' is probs more like it. but I do like this as a lead in to the weekend... and trust me.. you still need at the very least a 'notional' weekend.. even when retired. Monty Don is a decent enough presenter.. though I do wonder about him. I've seen 'em all... Percy Thrower, Geoff Hamilton,and so on. Alan Titchmarsh is now insufferable... needs to delete the last seven letters from his surname...

7. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Geoff Hamilton was my first. Titchmarsh was a bit irritating. Monty is literally The Don in our house. Couldn't agree more about its lead into the weekend status which is why I don't like it when they move it to 9pm.
    Killing Eve is by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Would very highly recommend her Fleabag. The opening to episode one shocked my 16 year old which is almost impossible.
    Think you meant Only Connect rather not Connect 4. ;)

8. Mullardman

Ah yes. Only Connect. Thanks for the correction.. the Brandy was more effective than I thought. And I hate Connect 4.. :)

9. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Bodyguard is utterly stupid and frequently throw things at the telly awful. Of course I am still watching.

Killing Eve I watched the first episode a while back and haven't felt the need to watch anymore.

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Stuck with Trust box set and despite some middle episodes that dragged it was a good watch.
    Enjoying Bodyguard.
    Watching the box set of Killing Eve but not really engaging with it. Too bizarrely “comicy” for me.

11. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I've not managed to stick with a single one of the latest crop of new "TV dramas", Bodyguard included, beyond half-way into episode two. I think it's partly down to the overwhelming sense of ennui which descends when I see there are only eight more episodes to go.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  12. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Never having ever read a Daily Express you leave me puzzled. Support your own national service providers. They are sweeties.

13. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

that's pretty much my impression, though i am not sure whether to move beyond episode 2.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d heard it mentioned so many times I watched the first two episodes earlier today on iPlayer. It’s just ‘Spooks’ really isn’t it? The only thing that stood out is the Chief Whip who, as such a vile entitled arsehole, was actually believable! Not sure if I’ll go in any further.

PS Black Earth Rising is probably rather better. I enjoyed the first episode, but got kind of sidetracked moderating this place during the second so really need to watch it again...

15. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Don't bother.

16. Mullardman

Bodyguard. Entertaining tosh. Weak schmaltzy ending.

17. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

mull.

that is really bad of you -- talking about the ending, even in a vague way.

18. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Agreed. The whole thing suffered for writing out Keeley Hawes character imo.

19. Agreed here too, started off strong and got worse with each episode, not a patch on Line Of Duty.

Cheers BB

20. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Oh well. I guess I'm an intellectual pygmy; really enjoyed Bodyguard, it was very entertaining. Surely no one takes this stuff seriously?