1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Alabama abortion laws

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, May 15, 2019.

1. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

I am struggling with words to describe just how appalling the new legislation is. WTF is the USA on? Whatever it is I just hope it doesn’t come here.

Snufkin likes this.
  2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Right wing hiding behind religion. Building for last 30 years...Now they have stuffed the Supreme Court they are trying to roll back all progressive legislation.

3. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

Very worrying trend. I do not understand the mindset here at all.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

It’s a more muscular form of Christianity. Men are taking back control ( of women in this case).

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I do worry that right-wing, radical Christian extremism is treading in the footsteps of radical Islamism. Maybe we need a new name for it, Christianism, perhaps?

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Christianism is a good word and is an apt description for what the USA has been doing for years. Death penalty, a gun cult, a prison service that concentrates on punishment and incarceration of the poorest in society rather than rehabilitation, it's not a good picture.

martin clark and TheDecameron like this.
  7. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I bet Mogg and his chums approve.

8. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

There are some human 'tribes' that are going backward in evolution. I went to rural Alabama once on business - I won't bore you with the whole story - but it was an odd feeling to square the reality there with being in the US of A.

9. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

It seems to me like it's more Old Testamentism (OTism) than Christianism.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  10. tones

tones Tones deaf

This name already exists to describe the harsh, intolerant Pharisaism working for purely political ends and that masquerades as Christianity in the USA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianism

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

It’s one of the contributing factors. White male ‘Christians’ have had to watch fundamentalist islamists asserting their inalienable right to control women, minorities and opponents while at the same time struck by envy at the display of male privilege. Now they want a bit. ‘Conservative values’ - it’s the new endarkenment in the West.

12. tones

tones Tones deaf

It has also sparked a revisionism of US history as a Christian country (something that, by definition, cannot possibly exist) founded by Christian men (naturally). In fact, the Founding Fathers were at best Deists, who tended to speak of "Providence" rather than God. AFAIK, George Washington never once referred to Jesus in his recorded utterances. This lady:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Rodda

has written particularly good, if occasionally tedious, rebuttals of this revisionism.

At one point, the Texas body that approves textbooks tried to exclude Thomas Jefferson, because of his version of the Bible (he had cut out all the miracles, because, he said, they couldn't have happened).

13. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Seems reasonable to me - he was probably an Engineer.

TheDecameron likes this.
  14. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I think that any law based on religion is a bad thing; we should all be scared. Lucky it's not happening here.

15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

May the Lord open.
    Under his eye...etc,.

cooky1257 likes this.
  16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

They didn't need the Islamists to show them how to control women, blacks and the poor, they ahve done it by themselves for years. Look at who wrote the Jim Crow laws. Didn't need any help with that, did they?

I've already told my tale here of a 15yo boy and a 14yo girl being banned from school for having a date. Nobody did anything wrong, they had a date one evening doing whatever teenagers do and the girl returned home at the appointed hour in the same condition as that in which she went out. So far so normal, but the boy was black and this was *against the school rules*. I kid you not, this was in 2000 or 2001. Somewhere like Tennessee or North Carolina I think.

17. tones

tones Tones deaf

18. tones

tones Tones deaf

Lawyer and architect actually - and quite definitely at least agnostic.

19. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The Alabama law will be more liberal than the existing one in Northern Ireland

20. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

What I find weird is the disjunction between:

A) Land of the Free. Place where each person is free to do as they please and not be under the control of anyone else. Founded explicitly on the basis that there will be no State religion imposed on everyone.

B) Land of the Kristian. Place where everyone has to follow what some obsessives have decided is the 'only way' in the name of *their* particuarly narrow-minded interpretation.