1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Alabama abortion laws

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, May 15, 2019.

1. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

2. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Hmmm. Yes. I wonder if the Kristians will be starting up 'laundries' for the children involved... That's a racket that has form.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  3. richards13

richards13 pfm Member

Ooo a lynch mob for Christians, how righteous you all are.

Bananahead likes this.
  4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

USA is a third world banana republic and crucible of evil which I would never visit, along with Israel, Saudi Arabia, N Korea etc.

5. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

There's nothing Christian about these prideful, self-righteous, vindictive assholes.

Durmbo, kendo, TheDecameron and 4 others like this.
  6. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

The hard core pro-choice advocates seem as obsessive.

What's missing is a science driven compromise.

FWIW most abortions in the UK are technically illegal. I think there's a good case for introducing a new category of 'on demand' if term is less than (say) 18 weeks. Make current practice explicit.

7. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Coming to this conclusion about the US based on what's going on in Alabama is similar to an American concluding that Europe is off limits because of what's going on in Turkey and Hungary.

The US has a serious problem with the Federal government being completely captured by the oligarchy, but I'd invite you to visit Massachusetts and you'll meet many enlightened, highly educated folks with whom I think you'll get on well. Some good beer here also, contrary to popular UK perception.

jtrade likes this.
  8. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I think this thread is about people who claim to be Christian while completely ignoring everything Jesus is reputed to have taught us about how to live our lives.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  9. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I can't recall anyone suggesting that. And you didn't quote or refer, so I have no idea where you got that idea.

10. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I'm sure there are many really nice individual American people, I know some personally, but the actions both domestically and internationally of the gov of USA (and of states domestically) are deplorable bully boy tactics of the worst kind. Even under Democrats they are right wing and obscene but under trump, far worse!
    No NHS? Banning abortion? Allowing any nutter to own a gun? Support for Israel? de facto extreme racism in southern states? having the temerity to try and tell sovereign nations who they can or cannot trade with? acting to destabilise sovereign nations for it's own profit? And that's just the tip of the iceberg! What was that about absolute power corrupts absolutely?!
    Most obscene (and encompassing all of the above) is they actually have an official policy of "full spectrum dominance". USA makes N Korea look like a really nice country.

We, and all other more enlightened nations, should not even have diplomatic relations with such a country, never mind invite their orange shit gibbon of a so called president over here for a state visit!

11. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

That may well be so for some. But I suspect many people are able to be more rational and deal with matters in ways that depend upon the details of each case. *If* the law allows them to do so.

'Science' is an interesting way to comment given that I suspect that the same Kristians tend also to reject evolution, or climate change, because neither fit in with their simplistic beliefs.

FWIW I know, and have known, a number of Christians who have rather more open views and don't try to impose a rigid dogma on everyone else. Hence the problem here isn't simply that some people believe in Christ, etc. It is the way some over simplify and turn it into an ideology to be imposed on everyone else. Sadly, these days, all too familiar under cover of more than one religious 'brand name'.

In the end, that's about power and imposition of will, not about personal religion.

One of the two old, old stories.

1) The military chief: Do what I say, give me money and power, and I'll protect you from the danger from the next village.

2) The religious fanatic: So what I say, give me money and power, and I'll protect you from the danger after you die.

12. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I agree. I also agree that many Americans - many of them Christians - will be horrified by this. However a specific organised group exploit this rigidity and gain weath and power thereby.

13. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Yes, unfortunately, you are correct.

That is certainly my stance.

14. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

One of the best people I've ever been pleased to have as a good friend when I was younger was a lay preacher in a small church. He often argued with me to get me to change my - vaguely agnostic - views. In my view the best arguments he ever came up with stemmed from a theology that simply said.

"You *are* 'saved'. We all are. We are *all* 'forgiven'. Not because we do anything to deserve it, but because God loves us and understands. The point of Christ was to let us know, *now*, so we can stop worrying about it and simply relax and be kind to one another whilst on Earth. The only 'hell' is the bad way we will feel when we realise the things we did wrong, and blame ourself."

He pretty much devoted his life to simply helping other people, regardless of their beliefs, etc.

That's pretty much the only basis for religion that has ever made sense to me. It would be nice if it turns out to be true.

if it is, the Kristians will have a lot to be embarassed about... :)

Yank and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Yet there are those who would tell you that morality and our justice system owe their existence to Abrahamic religions. It’s being reheated by the “Conservative right” on a regular basis.

16. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Apparently they have made is clear that any Doctor who carries out an abortion faces up to 99 years in custody. The only 'out' is when the mothers life is in danger. I expect there will be a lot of dying mothers just in case.

17. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

No, just a preemptive Rapture. They're going to a better place...aren't they? :)

18. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Pro life, pro-death penalty.

19. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

So forgive them.

20. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Essentially it's the American Taliban.

Rob998, Barrymagrec and sean99 like this.