1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Alabama abortion laws

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, May 15, 2019.

1. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

It's always a fight between extremes, no abortion on one side, effective infanticide on the other. You will be familiar with the recent machinations in Virginia and its rather dodgy governor, which I think are way more extreme than the Alabama move.

New York has been changing its law, there's an interesting article at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46994583 As usual in the real world both sides have some good points.

Are you not rather stereotyping there?

If you are going to make a judgement about when a foetus is alive, or viable, or any other matter, then you need science. And then you need some discussion of morals and ethics. And then you need to write a law that protects all parties in a reasonable way. I'm not hopeful.

2. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Fake news. Late term abortion for purposes of birth control essentially does not exist. There are two doctors in the USA willing to perform the procedure. It's just a right wing bugaboo meant to scare the Religious Right.

3. wacko

wacko pfm Member

The Alabaman ? :)

4. Yank

I was referring more to the Jesus-y types who wish to legislate us all by the rules of their particular interpretation of their religion.

5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I have friends in KSA that would welcome you with open arms.......

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I like the name for their provisional wing- “White Isis”.

7. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Soon we’ll have to refer to the US as “the ‘so called’ Christianist state”.

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Likewise, I'm sure that there are also some lovely people in Kabul and Peshawar. Once you get away from the training camps it's fine.

gintonic likes this.
  9. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Rats is life.

Just as with Islamists who preach chastity but rape female prisoners of war, I bet there is a large dose of hypocrisy behind this. Like many religious types, they are very selective which parts of their faith they choose to practice. And of course controlling women is always a favourite - with men. You can imagine some snotty nose lttle senators son getting a college girl pregnant, of course he'd want to keep it.

10. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

The Alabama law was deliberately made strict enough in order to force a law suit. The end goal is to overturn Rowe v Wade in the Supreme Court.

My own belief is that women, and women alone, should have the right to choose what happens with their own bodies. I also see the passing of State-level anti-abortion laws as unfairly targeting the poorest of women. Anyone of means can drive or fly to a more liberal state to have an abortion. Poorer women will be forced to have the procedure done locally - illegally, and in secret - as was common practice before Rowe v Wade (1973). In other words, these new, morally abhorrent laws will do nothing except put poor women’s lives at risk.

TheDecameron likes this.
  11. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I'm going from the reported comments of the governor of Virginia. It's not fake news, although it may be misconstrued.

Obviously controversial abortion in the US essentially doesn't exist, a tiny percentage are beyond 20 weeks. I think Roe/Wade as revised in the 90s gives sensible guidance on this. And the default medical preference should be for the mother. These aspects aren't difficult, IMO. But the extremes of pro-choice as encountered on Twitter and elsewhere are outside current US law, which I guess is why there is a reaction to some States opening the door.

12. Yank

When you used the word "infanticide" it revealed your sources as coming from the Right Wing News Bubble.

13. mykel

mykel Perpetual Hack

[​IMG]

sean99 likes this.
  14. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I was referring specifically to the people who are extreme absolutists about opposing abortion under *all* circumstances on religious (sic) grounds. It's the same mindset that rejects evolution, etc, and replaces it with 'creationism' twaddle.

Science is certainly a better guide wrt evidence, practical considerations,etc. Helps people to make evidence-based decisions. But with matters like abortion it is inevitable that morality also gets involved. The problem is that for some 'morality' is something they've been schooled to accept rigidly out of what is essentially religious fear. *And* they want to *impose* it on others.

15. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Alabama to make vasectomies a felony as of May 16, 2019.

Actually, I just made that up.

Joe

16. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Yes you did. In fact, it is the spilling of seed that will become illegal on May 16, and punishable by death (Genesis 38:9).

17. Joe P

Uh-oh.

Joe

Hook likes this.
  18. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

19. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

if you can "make up" more stuff like that on a regular basis, a lucrative career on youtube awaits. you can be the next ben shapiro.

20. Joe P

Vuk,

I prefer my lucrative career here.

Joe