1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Boothroyd (Meridian) RIP

Discussion in 'audio' started by suzywong, Mar 22, 2020.

1. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Any confirmation of this report, there is no mention anywhere else?
    I hope that this is a mistake

2. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Very sad to hear, 206 was my first decent CD player. Absolutely loved it. RIP.

SteveS1 likes this.
  3. marktr

marktr Registered User

Yes, very sad. I owned a beautiful pair of M2’s with a 101b pre some 25 years ago - why did I ever sell! Absolutely loved the musical presentation and design.

4. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

I still use a 200 CD transport too. Touch wood, still working perfectly well.

A very sad loss to the audio world - RIP.

5. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

Curious isn’t it. However according to Companies House, he “resigned” from Meridian on 18 March 2020. Been trying to contact a family member with whom I worked about a decade ago, but no luck.

6. JonR

JonR Brainwashed Bloke

Used to own one myself - fond memories.

RIP

7. Rana

Rana pfm Member

RIP Allen, that's sad news. One of the first serious bits of hi-fi I saw was the Lecson kit as a teen - I wondered what it was...... Never had Meridian myself - it's on my to-try list when I re-enter the world of box-swapping.

8. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Mine too. The little 204 tuner is a gem too. RIP Allen.

Ponty likes this.
  9. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

According to this thread he passed near the beginning of the month, I suspect from cancer from the words used.
    https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=291864&page=1

Very odd that there has been no proper obituary anywhere

10. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

Likewise. It's been on my rack for about 25 years.
    I remember the first time I went to sound and vision in Bristol I sat and watched Golden eye on a full Meridian active home cinema. The source was laserdisc. It was an amazing experience.
    A true innovator, with impeccable design and functionality skills. RIP

John_73 likes this.
  11. suzywong

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

My very first CDP, bought used in 2001; graduated to a G09. Superb and very different designs and good reliability. I think I visited their factory/showroom in Huntingdon(?) for maybe a repair or something in the early noughties, and was quite impressed; by the service, too.

13. suzywong

Still got ours in the dining room....200/263/201/204/M2.....

203 is on loan to daughter#2, along with a 101B & M20

14. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Which means that forum is the only evidence. I find it amazing that a man whose work has had such influence can vanish silently without a proper obituary.

15. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

I now remember that I had a loan from Meridian of one the speakers from Allen's personal pair of M1's when the bass driver in mine was 'rubbing' and they had it in back for repair. His was in a beautiful Rosewood veneer. Mine were standard black Ash.

16. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Sad news. I was going to sell my 200 transport and 263 DAC a couple of weeks ago, but when I got them down from the loft and took pictures, I couldn't do it! Sold the Consonance Orfeo instead! The 200 takes a dislike to certain CDRs, but then it always did AFAIR. If only I could have afrded to keep the Lecson system.
    BTW, the first time I heard Lecson was in the Biba shop in the old Derry and Tom's department store. The speakers in the toy department were hidden inside tree trunk outer casings!

17. Stereonow

Stereonow Registered User

I enjoyed many lunches with him (plus to othe Meridian directors) at The Bridge Hotel Huntingdon. Impeccable manners, a true gentleman and effortlessly cool. All that and world class design talent.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.