1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

am I missing something here?

Discussion in 'Interesting eBay auctions' started by kota, Mar 16, 2019.

1. kota

kota pfm Member

Got an interest on an Naim amp listed on eBay and contacted the owner through their own message system. He replied and sent me his own e-mail address which I thought was something impossible as long as you use the @ symbol. Is that possible now or am I being paranoid ??

2. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

Sometimes email addresses get through

3. coltrane

coltrane electrobaroCKjazzer

there's a new eBay.com policy regarding the content of messages and selling, which is that if a seller sends or receives a message that contains anything eBay.com assume may imply an off-eBay sale they drew a final value interest sum equivalent of what one's supposed to pay after the BIN price, or based on the usual sale price of the item in question, and regardless of whether that suspicious item was really sold or not outside eBay.com. so it may well be that eBay.com, even though they've noticed that something 'illegal' is happening, won't on purpose step in but let it go as they'll get their money anyway - and your seller might suck if you go down that route... pretty tricky eBay.com have evolved :cool: . to add, though, I'm unsure of whether it relates to other eBay sites (.uk, .de, etc.), as well...

4. kota

kota pfm Member

Thanks. I thought so and it turns out it was a scam. eBay sent me an e-mail telling me someone hacked someone else's account and they found out the prick sent me his e-mail address using their internal messaging service. Item listing is now gone.

5. alphatoner

alphatoner pfm Member

All of the above is true, about ebay assuming a sale and charging a fee regardless. They do however (or at least did) issue a pop a warning message telling you that if you continue with the message you will be charged a FVF. This also applies to addresses & phone numbers as well.

I'm not sure why they want to do it this way when the original method of just refusing to let you send contact details still had exactly the same effect.

If they have stopped issuing the warning and just buried it in the T&C's that would be rather sneaky IMO