1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon launch HiRes streaming.

Discussion in 'audio' started by AndyU, Sep 17, 2019.

1. MVJ

MVJ madvinyljunkie,Professional Plonker & PFM Member

I have found the only way to play it is thru the Sonos app unlike Spotify and can't work out how to download and listen offline so just cancelled it.

Think I'll stick to Spotify and with my Tinnitus I can't hear a difference anyway.

2. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

I am pretty sure that as long as 4g has sufficient bandwidth, it streams. It does sometimes take some time to buffer, then stream.

I will double check and report back..

3. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

I don't know Audio Player Pro, so can't comment. It works with all my AirPlay devices if that's helpful.

4. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

AirPlay doesn't support BT Apx, which is highest bit rate.

5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

i tried earlier and it looks like it doesn’t. When I went to ‘favourites’ on the car screen all I saw were recently played albums that were cached. Of course I could use the phone app to control replay, but that’s removing the point of Airplay.

6. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Yes, the are right. Current Qobuz app is still in beta, and accesses cached titles.
    http://blogsv2.qobuz.com/qobuz-blog-en/2019/02/14/qobuz-is-now-compatible-with-carplay/

It is unclear from cursory view on above blog, whether latter app versions will support streaming.

Still a fine app.

7. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Eh? Aptx Bluetooth is about 350kbps, isn’t it? Eg here, under mode of operation https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

8. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Yes and that's currently the highest BT bitrate of the 3 standard protocols currently out there. Apples aac is about 250kb, but their Qualcomm chipset does not support aptx.

That's the simplex view. It's actually what the codecs do with the available bandwidth that gives the better fidelity.

It's better and more fully explained here if you are interested
    https://theheadphonelist.com/wireless-fidelity-making-sense-bluetooth-headphone-technology/#codecs

9. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Thanks for the link, but I’m confused. I can’t see airplay mentioned there. And airplay can do 1411kbps, ie CD quality. It’s not a different kind of Bluetooth.

Heckyman’s point was that airplay sounds less good than native connect-style implementations on his hifi. I don’t see how airplay vs Bluetooth comes into the picture.

10. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

I may have misunderstood Heckman mentioned listening with AirPlay and wireless headphones, in which case the implementation protocol would be aac over BT. Apple uses aac for both AirPlay and BT.

So the BT protocols may be of importance in the listening chain. Any iOS device will transcode inbound streams by default to aac. Apple has recently started supporting FLACs thru AirPlay, but this is not default.

11. kneecap

kneecap pfm Member

Been using Tidal premium for about 18months and now trying the Amazon HD trial. I stream from a Windows 10 laptop via USB into a Audiolab 8300 cd.
    Visually, I would have to say I prefer the Tidal desktop app. I ve always found the album info very useful.
    Sonically though, Amazon HD is very good, sounding detailed, weighty and smooth and definitely better than Tidal for longer listening sessions.
    It's a thumbs up from me

12. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

How do you cope with tracks of different sample rates? How have you set Windows audio?

13. kneecap

kneecap pfm Member

With the Audiolab set as output device in sound control panel, I select Properties, Advanced then choose 24 bit 192000 as default format.

14. kneecap

kneecap pfm Member

I should add that there is a Windows driver download for the Audiolab so this may enable more choice of default file.

15. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

In which case isn’t Windows upsampling most of the time?

16. kneecap

kneecap pfm Member

I don't know to be honest. I had always assumed that with the Audiolab selected, the streamed music file passed through the laptop "unmolested".
    But I know I like the sound of Amazon HD. It sounds less edgy than Tidal, more natural.

AndyU likes this.
  17. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

Highest bitrate AptX protocol/codec is AptXHD. Its built into latest Android, along with Sony's LDAC which can have higher bitrate under good condition.

18. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Yes. Android is a different kettle of fish. iOS is the challenge with the Apple proprietary approach to many codecs and protocols.

19. kingston12

kingston12 pfm Member

I think it will be. I’ve got a Meridian Explorer in my work PC, and have set it up as 24/192 in the settings, and the DAC indicates that it is always getting 24/192 whatever is being played.

It still sounds good, but I’m not sure if a DAC with it’s own drivers would be better.

20. kneecap

kneecap pfm Member

Would it be better to set default to 24/96 for less need for upsampling?
    However, Audiolab say this about the 8300 s dac
    "
    The conversion process within Audiolab 8300CD results in the 512 DAC elements (256 DACs per channel) each operating at 84.672MHz – all digital audio sources, whatever the sample rate, are upsampled or oversampled to this frequency. This results in a conversion process that is switching 3840 times higher than the typical audio upper bandwidth of 22kHz
    So looks like it's hard to escape some form of upsampling.
    I've emailed Audiolab to see what they recommend for best sound.