1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anna Soubry

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Nigel, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Not a big fan or anything but the lady certainly has some bottle. Read she's received all kinds of threats for her stance on Brexit.

Here are the Conservative twenty who voted against the government earlier in the week.

Heidi Allen
    Guto Bebb
    Richard Benyon
    Nick Boles
    Kenneth Clarke
    Jonathan Djanogly
    Sir Michael Fallon
    George Freeman
    Justine Greening
    Dominic Grieve
    Sam Gyimah
    Dr Phillip Lee
    Sir Oliver Letwin
    Nicky Morgan
    Bob Neill
    Antionette Sandbach
    Sir Nicholas Soames
    Anna Soubry
    Ed Vaizey
    Dr Sarah Wollaston

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

As someone who’s been online since before the www was even a thing I’m appalled by how social media has become a weapon for cowardly idiots, fascists, racists, misogynists etc. The crap the likes of Anna Soubry, Gina Miller, Dianne Abbott etc have to put up with is just beyond belief and the penalties for those doing it shpuld be far, far steeper IMHO. I believe very firmly in the right to protest, but not in a way that is abusive, makes threats etc. The far right have always been truly repugnant, it is just what they are to the core, and to my mind all such entities (e.g. BNP, EDL, UKIP, Britain First etc) should be banned under terrorism laws. The exact same language coming from Islamist fundamentalism certainly would be, so why the double standard?

I have much respect for the way Soubry, Miller, Abbott etc and recently Owen Jones have stood up to the vile far-right dregs in our society of late, but it is only a matter of time before someone else is murdered or maimed by this scum. We need to clamp right down on it, and that includes the printed press that so often propagates this vile divisive ideology.

3. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

4. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Definitely not a fan of Soubry, but she has got spirit. I like her attitude towards Brexit and the way she shrugged off the far right idiots, who hurled abuse at her outside Parliament.

I looked at her voting record a few months ago. She's an out and out Tory and leans towards the right of the Party.

Jack

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  5. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Exactly. Freedom of speech, not freedom of hate speech.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Agreed, and even more so considering her constituency majority is one of the thinnest in the country, she was with in a hair of losing it last election. To be in that position in a ‘Leave’ seat and still not be in fear of the Brexit thugs both locally and nationally takes some real courage.

jackbarron likes this.
  7. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

I like her even if I don't agree with her on everything.
    Straight, honest - or seems like it

8. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I didn't realize she has a very thin majority. You're right it takes real courage.

Jack

9. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Probably less of an issue when you know you will get a pretty substantial pension.

10. deanf

deanf pfm Member

droodzilla and jackbarron like this.
  11. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Yup. The beatification of Soubry by arch-Remainers is a striking example of the political reality-distortion field created by Brexit.

Frankiesays likes this.
  12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No one is doing that at all! I find her politics awful in the main, she is wrong about most things, but I’d happily argue she is far more a conviction politician when it comes to Brexit than two-faced Corbyn, McDonnell etc. The politicians I detest the most are always the slippery ones who refuse to state what they really think.

sean99 likes this.
  13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

She was indeed an arch slanderer of Jeremy Corbyn. I remember her QT outburst using language that would have graced the DM in the 70s, when her party was feeling vulnerable before they had Brexit to hide behind. She’s not in the same league though as Nadine Dorries, Peter Bone or some of the other monsters of the deep lurking in the shadier sections of the government back benches. No one deserves the flying spit of EDL ignoramuses though.

deanf likes this.
  14. deanf

deanf pfm Member

She largely votes according to the manifesto so any personal attack on her as a person is an attack on democracy, and especially at the moment that needs to clamped down on very quickly. And I know it's going against her party but it's got to be said that in the 2017 election the Labour + LibDem + Green vote was higher than the Tory + UKIP vote. There's been a definite shift in Brexit opinion so she might not be going against her constituents as much as it seems.

wyjsar likes this.
  15. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Good to see the twat who abused her worst has been arrested and is in custody.

Apparently stalking laws can be used to prosecute the moron.

Nick_G likes this.
  16. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Oh good.

17. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Expect Ezra Levant & Co to fully fund the best defence barristers and put up a “hardship fund” for the plucky defender of free speech. His mates look like the same mob that attacked the book shop, filming themselves - “wot these books then? Books books books, why you got all them books?”.

18. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Personally I save my harshest words for politicians like Soubry who support a government that scapegoats the poor and vulnerable and drives them to destitution, mental illness and suicide. Call me old-fashioned.

19. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Cant disagree with any of that.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Good to see an arrest was made, though I hope this reflects a real change and isn’t just something to satisfy a media cycle. It annoys me that so little happened after the murder of Jo Cox, next to nothing has happened regarding the absolutely relentless abuse that the likes of Dianne Abbott, Gina Miller etc recieve constantly. This right-wing shite really needs stamping on with the fullest force of the law IMHO. The murder of Jo Cox, the Finsbury Mosque attack etc etc proves these people so easily can be potential terrorists. It shouldn’t take a white middle-class Tory to legitimise taking on the far-right. Owen Jones is right too in the mainstream/tabloid media needs holding to account in feeding a culture of hate, scapegoating and division. A lot of the chants etc are straight off the cover of the Express or Daily Mail. It all needs dealing with.

jackbarron, Nick_G and Weekender like this.