1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Experience Buying A Car From A Car Supermarket?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by maxflinn, Apr 13, 2019.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I bought one but it would not fit in the trolley, got my money back

Bloss

2. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Once only. Most of the cars are sourced cheaply from big fleets at the end of their 'useful' fleet life. That's good tho, since a fleet car has quite likely done sensible mileage at proper engine temps and has been on a MD service contract. Physical condition is a lottery, but if that doesn't bother you you get a decent car cheaper. Nobody rides for free, but this seems a good trade off to me.

maxflinn likes this.
  3. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

That takes me back. Did Blackbushe used to be known as Frimley car auctions? I served petrol after school for a mildly doubtful garage that sold second hand cars. All the duff ones they expected to cause problems for customers went to the car auction rather than on the forecourt. Plenty of stories about people buying cars with wooden pistons from the auctions but lasting just long enough not to be returnable but I never saw one.

maxflinn likes this.
  4. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

wooden pistons???? WOODEN?????
    You are pulling my wotsit surely?

5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

family member bought from motorpoint recently with good experience . had it a year and no problems

maxflinn likes this.
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

probably but there's always one. I heard of a guy who had a car with a worn out cam. Instead of replacing it he welded on new metal and ground it back. Spent hours. Then flogged it, one careful owner. Why would you bother? You could buy a new cam for not much or a whole new head in a breaker. But he wanted to rip someone off. People are bloody strange.

7. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

When I was unemployed many years ago I spent a couple of days working at BCA at Blackbush.

It was quite tricky getting some of the cars in and out of the auction room under their own steam. I pitied the buyers.

maxflinn likes this.
  8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I've only ever bought one car from a supermarket. They claimed that the V70 D5 was serviced before I collected it but the oil was black. I called b**lsh*t and they assured me that a diesel's oil goes black after 20 miles... I paid out the £500 I had saved on a full service and cambelt change at a Volvo dealer and the car was spot on.

What I don't like about car supermarkets nowadays is that they don't like you browsing. They want you in, sat down so they can start pushing cars on youm even ones that don't have the spec you want. Saying "no" becomes tiresome, and becomes downright annoying when I ask for a 3l diesel, Audi or BMW, with upgraded audio and they offer a Jag, probably becuae it had been sat there unsold for ages.

So my advice is use a supermarket if (1) You prepared to be bullish with salesman forced to be pushy by poor wages and insane sales targets and (2) Ready to spend £500-£1000 on service, tyres etc not long after you bought it.

maxflinn likes this.
  9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's true, to be fair. I have personally dropped the oil on a diesel and poured in 5K of new. Fire it up, check levels. Black as the ace of spades.

So tell them to FO. It's not hard.

Fine by me. I know that any claims of service are a lie and budget accordingly. If the price is right, fine. If not then there are a million cars for sale.

maxflinn likes this.
  10. Seeker_UK

Yep. That's why I don't use car supermarkets to 'browse', only if I knew they had the car of the exact spec I wanted. :)

maxflinn likes this.
  11. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Max, I live in Dublin and have bought a number of times in England and in NI and brought them back to Ireland and gone through the VRT joy!

Having done this, I strongly recommend looking in NI, the dealers give you warranty which they honour (our VW has been back twice in 6 months) and also I discovered with my Mercedes a few missing things (audio cable mainly) that should have been included which they sent FOC to me in Dublin.

I bought an approved, tested Mercedes from a dealer in England and it turned out to have a intermittent engine problem which was tough to sort out and it ended up wiping out any savings I made.

To see the cars in NI, use autotrader and select NI cars only in more options and you can set alerts and so on. One of the dealers in Derry (Desmond’s a Ford main dealer) delivered the car to me in Dublin.

Good luck and try me on PM if you want any more advice.

maxflinn likes this.
  12. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I need to check bookmarks on my laptop.

maxflinn likes this.
  13. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Around 25 to 30 years ago I asked my father to but me a cheap car from an Auction. He returned with a Datsun (think it was a Sunny?). It was in mint condition, gleaming with perfect paintwork. The thing he didn't check was in the boot because he couldn't work out how to open it. We found a lever in the front and opened it up - The thing nearly fell off and was full of rust. Long story short, I found out off a mechanic that the car would never of passed the last MOT in that state, so we took it back to the garage that MOTd it and he gave us our money back. That experience put me off for life.

I also bought one from a supermarket that turned into a nightmare when it went wrong and the appointed garage that worked for the supermarket buggered it up and ended up costing me a fortune.

I'd only go private from now on.

maxflinn likes this.
  14. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Yes.
    Was in Frimley. Moved up the road to Blackbushe airport.
    My then girlfiends nephews told me, maybe did it themselves of a car where they clamped something on with a G clamp to get it through the auction at the not quite so reputable auction in Guildford

15. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

It can be checked in the parking lot before. There is the chance to grab a better look when they start the engine, ready to move.
    Most buyers are trade and they know what they are doing.
    My lovely Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo was 3 years old, needed a full service and a new head gasket. About £600 which still left me with a very cheap buy.
    You need to check who is bidding on the car you want and avoid a bidding war with a private buyer

16. Seeker_UK

Yes. AIUI, dealers work to a £2k profit per car so will stop bidding at £2.5k to £2k below screen price.

17. maxflinn

maxflinn Tulsi Gabbard 2020.

I've changed my mind now and am pretty sure I'm going to buy an Audi Q7 here in Ireland :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info anyway folks. Hopefully it'll be useful to others too.

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Jesus, Joseph and Mary, how the hell are you going to pay for a Q7 in Ireland? Have you won the Euromillions?

19. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Tow bar, buying cars in the UK, dragging them back to the emerald isle, flogging for a few hundred euros profit each time :)

stevec67 and maxflinn like this.
  20. maxflinn

maxflinn Tulsi Gabbard 2020.

Lol, I'm going to buy one that's around ten years old. €8k should suffice.

Tax of €422 per three months isn't too nice, but I really want one. I don't waste money on drink and drugs anymore, and work hard, so **** it; I'm going to treat myself.