1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Experience Buying A Car From A Car Supermarket?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by maxflinn, Apr 13, 2019.

1. maxflinn

maxflinn Tulsi Gabbard 2020.

2. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

I know someone who had an early one of these from new for as long as it took to get rid of it again due to truly horrendous high fuel consumption around town. Don't know about more recent ones Max, but it's a big engine in a heavy car which isn't usually a formula for good fuel economy.

maxflinn likes this.
  3. maxflinn

Yeah I realise fuel economy won't be great, Kendo. I'm prepared for that.

Tyres too will be pricey, but hey, you only live once.

4. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Are you still driving hgvs Max? Not implying anything or anything...;)

5. maxflinn

Aye, recycling trucks.

You can park anywhere in them while the lads tip the bins, once you stick on the hazards.

It's great craic :cool:

6. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

I was...umm...thinking more along the lines of an...err...alternatively sourced fuel supply...ahem. :)

maxflinn likes this.
  7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I don't imagine the fuel consumption will be that bad, certainly better than a big petrol. I used to run a Saab 2.3 turbo, out of town it was ok. Mid to high 30s. In town? Ouch, drive carefully and get 19mpg. I'm not kidding. My jag 2L diesel is a big thing and sees 40 round town. 55 to 60 mpg on a run.

maxflinn likes this.
  8. maxflinn

Ah....nah, we fill up using company fuel cards in regular filling stations.

Otherwise....;)

9. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

It was that bad Steve. The owner is a total petrol head that doesn't normally baulk at thirsty cars/vans but the Audi was particularly grim.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Blimey. Seems strange, I've a friend with a 4wd Audi A5, same 3L engine, drives it like he stole it, averages 40mpg overall. Lovely car too, over 150k miles and no dramas. I wonder why the Q7 would be so much worse?

maxflinn likes this.
  11. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

The Q7 TDi 204 is the best of them from the '06-'15 model range....owners report an average of 29.8
    The other 3.0 TDi models average out at 27.5, about 80% of Audi's claim, which is about typical for Audi.

12. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Two tons or more for school run/shopping use. Early models supposed to be 21mpg min but this one was less than that. Newer versions may be an improvement but it's one of these "why" cars IMO.

Edit - They also towed their caravan with it which made it even worserer. :)
    It was an early version so newer ones could be an improvement.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Because I'm worth it, obviously.

kendo likes this.
  14. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Better than an underpowered engine in a big car, usually. A tiddler might be ok on a steady throttle, cruising at 60, but in almost every other situation the V6 will be more economical in the real world. Just don’t cane it!

maxflinn likes this.
  15. maxflinn

Totally agree, Tony. I once had a 328i manual, back in 2001, it was a 96 reg. Friends said I'd not be able to carry petrol to it, but I found it easy enough on juice, because it was effortless for the engine to torque it around.

Though as you said, if I caned it...

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  16. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

My sis has had Q7s for years, she is on her 4th or 5th. The first or second one developed electrical problems - the lights would randomly come on in the middle of the night, and even when they didn't it would drain the battery. I don't know if it was a widespread problem, but be warned.

Drove up to Suffolk in the current model the other day. Silky smooth, enormously powerful, and surprisingly economical.

maxflinn and Tony Lockhart like this.
  17. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Make sure the timing chain is OK with no nasty rattles after start-up. They can stretch at high miles and it's a horrendously expensive job to replace them

That said, if it's OK, the 3 litre 245 BHP lump is excellent, I have it in my A7.

There are 2 downsides with a Q7 due to its size: the you'll never see 30 mpg out of one and they are buggers to park.

[edit]

If I was spending 8k on a VAG SUV and it had to be diesel, I'd look for a Touareg V10 which won't use much more fuel than a 3.0TDI Q7. If diesel wasn't vital, it'd be a Cayenne 3.2.

maxflinn likes this.
  18. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

My one tip would be to try to steer away from cars that have only had the oil changed every two years. Great for fleets and lease, not great for long term private ownership.

maxflinn likes this.
  19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

even when that is the manufacturer recommended interval? as per my existing......

20. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Why would the manufacturer advise two year intervals? Maybe because it looks good for the fleet operators and those looking to lease. And they don’t care about what happens five years later. It might not destroy the engine, but there’ll be increased wear.
    Of course, there are a few variables at play, such as type of use the car is put to, but it’s a cheap thing to do.