1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Experience Buying A Car From A Car Supermarket?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by maxflinn, Apr 13, 2019.

1. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I dont think you'll find many Porsches in lease fleets.

2. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

It’s just a tip. So if you get to look at the service docs before buying, are looking at two or three, and one has annual oil changes, that’s the one I’d be more interested in, even with higher mileage.

And Porsche aren’t immune from engine disasters.

Snufkin and maxflinn like this.
  3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Naah, this is the one you want...

4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

With me, a mate, a full tank of diseasel, and a Yorkie each, that is three tons of hideous yuck. Torquey and quick in a straight line, but no thanks.

5. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

This is an excellent point, particularly on a low mileage diesel. I ignore manufacturers and stick to every 12 months or 10K miles whichever comes first. They don’t care once it’s out of warranty.

maxflinn and Tony Lockhart like this.
  6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Well I'd say the same about pretty much any Q7, to be honest. So if you really must, then do it properly, I say!

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  7. gintonic

Did I suggest they were, and I know. But I have had three Porsche's, and am looking for the 4th, and I have always followed manufacturers instructions.

8. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I have to admit that I was surprised when not only did I see that our 911 only required oil changes every two years, but so did the Turbo S.

However... I haven’t seen a stripped six cylinder boxer engine. I have seen the aftermath of a couple of Audi V6 Diesel engines that were on bi-annual oil changes, and the wear to the cams was quite startling. The whole top end needed lots of expensive work. You’d expect more than 150k miles from these engines before a top end rebuild, I’d guess.

Snufkin, maxflinn and gintonic like this.
  9. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

Max - when you're coming over to the mainland - where about's would you be looking to buy? I assume you'd get a ferry to the northwest England / southwest Scotland? would you be driving over with your old car? (for part exchange, or with a mate?) - just if you're going to a specific area, then maybe source out a decent local dealer there?

edit - just saw you're going to buy locally now.. :)

maxflinn likes this.
  10. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Indeed. Mostly seem to have footballists as first owner, too, which is offputting.

12. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor pfm Member

Lots of pictures online of Porsche flat 6 engines after IMS bearing failure. I’d hate to have to pick up the bill for that.

13. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Thankfully all the failings of that particular engine (the water cooled engines, fitted to 996 and gen one 997 cars) are very well known. Bore scoring is the biggie. One particular company offers a complete rebuild that also introduces measures to prevent recurrence.
    If you have Porsche do the rebuild, guess what they do? (Hint: start your stopwatch).

14. gintonic

I'm looking at a 2016 991 Targa later this week for a 3 year lease, with a full warranty.

cutting42 and Mr Cat like this.
  15. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

It’ll be a lovely experience:)

gintonic likes this.
  16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Leasing a car like this probably makes a lot of sense. Mot potentially ruinous provided you can make the payments, because of the warranty, and leasing at 3 years old will make it reasonably affordable, at least within the terms of Porsche ownership.
    I'd have trouble enjoying owning a Porsche because of the possibility of ruinous bills. There are 10 year old Caymans coming in at under £10k now, which is a very appealing prospect. You could spend that in 3 years leasing a family saloon. The hazard is that the "cheap" Porsche hands you bills of a thousand pounds here and a thousand pounds there, no individual bill is big enough to make you walk away from your £10k investment but over the course of a couple of years it's cost you more to keep it running than it did to buy.

17. gintonic

Yes spot on. I've just signed on the dotted line for my 9th consecutive lease, this time a lightly used 4 year old 911 Targa 4S with some toys. So its goodbye Macan Turbo after about 2 years and 8 months, the lure of the 911 was just too great. Got a great deal out of Porsche.

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Out of interest what mileage do they suggest it done, if not 2 years?

19. gintonic

20k on the Boxster S, had 5 years ago, 20k on the Macan Turbo, I have been running from new for nearly 3 years, and 20k on the lightly used 4 year old 911 Targa 4S, I bought today!

20. matt j

matt j pfm Member

20k Jesus wept. I wince at 20k on my 1.5 diesel van, never mind something more highly strung.