1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Projector experts in????

Discussion in 'off topic' started by strummer, Feb 14, 2011.

1. strummer

strummer pfm Member

I'm thinking of ditching the telly from the living room & going for a Projector.

It's quite a big room at 6.5M x 5.5M & the 40" TV isn't big enough, so rather than buy a bigger telly, the idea would be to stick it in the corner for casual viewing & project onto the chimney breast, between the speakers.

The idea would be to stick a blank white picture above the fire, which would look quite arty farty. That would act as the screen.

Problem is the throw would be 4.5M & the screen would have to be approx 160cm wide by 80cm high.

- Is there a projector that could do that at a reasonable price?

- Is a projector practical for everyday use, or are they noisy bastards?

- How do they perform in daylight?

Ta

2. John

John TDS free

Not good in daylight, need a room that can be made dark.

3. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Thanks.

It can & I would keep the tv neatly tucked to one side in that case.

4. snowflake

snowflake Former Albino Ape

Stop me if I get too technical.........

Image throw is another booby trap.........

I have had three projectors, two LCD and one DLP (the DLP is an entry level themescene - its ellish)

The booby trap is..........

Theres a "wheely" thing behind the lens that makes the picture bigger and smaller......

My two LCD projectors have been able to sit on the unit at the back of the room and the range of its "wheeliness" was to allow a (Big) TV sized picture and then blow it right up to 8 foot, the size of the screen.

Now the DLP has a very limited "wheeliness", so if the projector sits on the books shelf the picture is about 12ft and the range of adjustment is only 11ft to 12ft not between 48inch and 8 ft as the LCD ones used to.

Therefore it has to sit behind the sofa on a heath robinson stand (RAT music stand and a trombone stand), which also means I am a bit close to the picture as well.

I am not sure, but I suspect this may be a limitation of the price point, not certain.

The answer of course is to ceiling mount it, but I've never quite got round to that.

S

oh - my other tip, don't wire it to the TV or lie, f#ckers always want to come round and waste your lamp watching some manner of shitty sports event.........which I suppose is OK if you like that sort thing.......

5. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Haha, that's just about technical enough for me!

So is there a measure for the "wheeliness"?

I can see that most of these projectors throw 6M & some more, but how can I tell which is the more wheelineserer without buying them all? :confused:

I once saw a website where you could input the throw & screen size & it gave a list of models. Anyone know where this is?

ta

6. snowflake

Strummer.......

The facility is called "zoom" as you would expect really, although I did have to look that up in the manuel.........my instruction give a little table with projection screen sizes and throw distances with a very dissapointing end to end range!! for exampe a 90" screen gives a range of 3.09 to 3.39 metres, a massive "end to end" z00m of 30cm!

Throw is the max size\distance of the image.........

s

7. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Thanks Snowflake

I've noticed they don't advertise the zoom, it's all Brightness, Contrast, resolution, no zoom :mad:

I'm looking for around a 70"-75" screen, but at 4.5M throw.

I'll have to have a ring round.

Ta

8. snowflake

yep,

I wished I had have known..............for ref the range for mine for a 70" is 2.4 to 2.63

But your question is ideal........"I want it on a 70" screen at 4.5m, can this projector do that"

But like I said, I strongly suspect mine is hobbled as its the bottom end one, my two previous projectors were higher up their range (matron.........)

S

9. joel

joel Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors

For reference, a 70" screen in 16:9 format is 1549mm x 872mm
    The problems you will have will be in getting an affordable projector with enough zoom to go that small from 4metres +, and bright enough to operate in less than optimally lit environments.
    You should be looking at a projector of between 3,500 and 5,000 lumens. Capable of high-contrast, with a longish tele lens, oh and I guess you'd be wanting Full HD :)
    Such projectors do exist. They're what I operate for a living, but they're not cheap.
    You may be better off looking for bargains in the 65" Plasma / LCD screen category - these will be about the same price or in some cases much cheaper than an appropriate projector.

10. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

There are various throw calculators about - plug in your prospective projector, set the throw distance, and you'll get the range of screen sizes it will give you. Or conversely tell it the screen size and it will give you the range of distances it will operate from to give that screen dimension.

11. snowdog

snowdog Active Member

you will need a proper screen not a blank white paper,there's better reflectivity from a dedicated screen

12. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

Also check lamp life and replacement cost relative to your expected usage; some can work out very expensive to run.....

13. snowflake

Strummer,

This is where it all gets a bit silly - Screens have "gain", meaning they are not actually white, even though mine looks pretty white to me, but what the hell, a definition here...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_gain.htm

so this brings us on to the charming unit of "the foot-lambert"

http://htrgroup.com/main.php?section=brightness

The basic jist, expressed in terms of "wheeliness" is that if the projector is too bright and the screen to reflective then its just like having a light house in the room :)

However after boggling your mind with all the science I think you can get away with a slightly off white sheet............I'm reasonably certain that RichardH on this forum did a cracking job of making a home brew one (but this was some time ago, so my memory may be false!)

S

14. Stevie A

Stevie A pfm Member

First of all to benefit from a projector you need a screen(area) to be bigger than 6ft.
    As mentioned the room needs to be blacked out,any ambient light ruins contrast.
    Once you have your "Large" picture,anything that is'nt HD will at best look poor and at worse diabolical,even the finest projctors struggle with SD when shown on large screens,the only way round is is to sit far away!!

15. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

Yes, I made one from blackout blind fabric.

Since I made mine,there's been masses of stuff on making a homebrew paint that is meant to give a better image - see the AVForums.

16. joel

joel Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors

Actually, none of the above is *strictly* true. Though for smaller than 100" (4:3) I mostly wouldn't bother with projection these days.

17. snowflake

Joel - yes I typed in a long winded reply and lost it..........thanks for picking up the gauntlet :)

I have had two LCD projectors, pretty far from HD, with DVD players and the results have been most enjoyable.......

However DVD players have been good, a meridian 596 by component and later an Oppo via HDMI cable (I assume they are HD of some description numbers flashed in the corner, but low ones like 420\720p or whatever).

However I recently bough an £80 sony blu-ray player, which is fantastic........

S

18. Stevie A

Stevie A pfm Member

Just going on personal experience Joel,imho rooms should be blacked out for ALL viewing for best results,also it depends on what you accept as good enough,for most people a good £1k p/j or £500 tv will suffice,for others Kuro screens or Meridian projectors are the only option.

19. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Ooh - perfect, picked up a working Sanyo projector a while back from a skip. Now have Kinect in a room barely big enough, and a large room to mount the projector into. Just need a screen :)

Richard

20. LesW

LesW Retired at user request

I've just noticed this after posting a Yamaha DPX 1100 for sale in the trade sale section