1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any recommendations for nice female vocals please?

Discussion in 'music' started by arcam_boy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Shaun555

Shaun555 Well-Known Member

Among my favourites are Lisa Gerrard, Joanna Newsom, Emmylou Harris and of course Joni Mitchell. Lisa Gerard's voice is particularly unusual - she sang the wordless vocals on the soundtrack of The Insider. Emmylou Harris' version of Pancho and Lefty is also good. Joanna Newsom is not everybody's taste but her lyrics are stunning IMO.

2. Gavinder007

Gavinder007 Member

Don't think they've been mentioned

Agnes Obel
    Sophie Zelmani
    Charlotte Martin
    Heather Nova

3. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

It's 5 years since my last contribution to this thread (need to get out more). So I'll throw Daisy Vaughan into the mix.

4. evand

evand pfm Member

Emily Jane Barker
    Leona Naess
    Emily Jane White
    Caitlin Canty
    Mary Fahl
    Caroline Spence

5. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

Mmmm, the best imho, checkout her vocals on this track...

Another great but obscure female vocalist not mentioned anywhere is "Jenny Darren."

Check out her vocal prowess in the song, "Spaceman's Shoes!" :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  6. Shaun555

Tash Sultana - see her on youtube Welcome To The Jungle. The following is a Wikipedia quote:Described as a "one-woman band who brings new meaning to the concept of multi-tasking",[1] she is best known for her 2016 single "Jungle", which was voted into third place in the Triple J Hottest 100, 2016.

7. boneman

boneman pfm Member

No record collection should be considered complete without the album Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderly.

For late night listening Julie London is sublime and IMHO underrated -

Not sure why these links don't work. Anyone?

Now fixed thanks to Garry.

8. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Some sort of megastar in her native Norway, and deservedly so, but despite some good UK press for her last album, largely unknown here.

This is her best song, performed live for the Nobel Prize ceremony, and gives you some idea:

Also, her collaboration with Röyksopp was interesting:

Kind regards

- Garry

9. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Fixed the links (I think) - you just need to paste the last bit of the YouTube URL e.g. ionrItWcyEA for the first one. If you paste the whole URL it doesn't work.

Kind regards

- Garry

P.S. The Julie London track is quite lovely.

10. boneman

boneman pfm Member

Cheers Garry! Yes, Julie track is great. If you don't have it the collection "Julie is her name: The Complete Sessions" is fantastic and nice SQ too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Julie-Her-...&keywords=Julie+is+her+name+complete+sessions

11. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

This sort of thread has really come alive for me since I have had access to Tidal

12. Shaun555

Tash Sultana
    Lucinda Williams
    Kate Bush
    Joanna Newsom
    Lisa Gerard

13. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Love Julie London, she's got the sexiest singing voice ever! She also has some cracking backing musicians. I've a few of her compilation albums, but the best one IMO for sound quality's "The Very Best of Julie London" , 2XCD collection. Just lovely.

14. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Kandice Springs
    Maggie Bell
    Carmen Mcrae
    Caro Emerald

15. Sich

Sich pfm Member

Modern female singers/producers that I'm a fan of:
    Jane Weaver
    Julia Holter
    Grimes