1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Sansa Clip Users?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Mullardman, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I have one of these little devices. Brilliantly compact and decent sounding even with MP3 . My phone has far more storage, but the 'Clip' has it's uses and the battery lasts better.

However. Recently put some new music on from the P.C. and it is all over the place. Some albums are now stored in reverse track order. Some can be found and 'Play' pressed, but immediately switch to some other album. Probably down to me, as I'm not exactly a wizz of digital files/folders, etc.,or maybe the Clip is dying?

Any advice welcome. Factory reset and reload?

2. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

I had a Clip a couple of years ago that looked dead for all money and I replaced it immediately. Found the ‘dead’ one in a drawer 6 months later and tried a factory reset. It revived and was fine ever since. They seem bulletproof and that’s what I’d do in your place.

If your one is dead, pm me as I seem to have a spare!

Mullardman likes this.
  3. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Mull I always found mine buggy: it especially didn't like it if I mixed MP3 with Flac, and would protest in the way you describe IIRC. Didn't like too many tags either: I stripped out everything except artist, album title, song title.

Nice wee things, though, apart from that.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

They are great. I have three - 1 x Clip+ and 2 x Clip Zip. But they all run Rockbox instead of the stock firmware (to get properly gapless playback as per another thread). However here are some things to try if within your comfort zone:

1. Factory reset. See here for example. On power-up set the region to "rest of the world" if you want to bypass any geographically mandated volume limiting.
    2. Install (or re-install) the latest firmware. See here for the list of models, latest releases and instructions (essentially copy the firmware to the device's top level directory and re-boot).
    3. Connect to a PC with USB, find and copy the music files to the PC (you do also have a backup?), power cycle, copy your music back on, power cycle and you should see "refreshing your media".

IIRC I do observe that at some point as I add more music the media indexing on stock firmware on my models misbehaves. I see, for example, two instances of "Johann Sebastian Bach" in the database.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Mullardman likes this.
  5. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

The Sansa firmware is buggy. If a reset does not work long term, go for Rockbox as stated in previous post.
    My fuze+ has run perfectly since installing it and loads music files much faster on power up.

6. sam_cat

sam_cat ᶜ ᶦˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᶜᵒᵒᵏᶦᵉ

Clip user here, have had 3 over the years. Gets used at work mainly, and sometimes when out walking.
    Always install Rockbox, transforms it!
    Stick a 128gb microSD card into the slot for a touch more room ;)

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, it's great. How do you install Rockbox?

8. sam_cat

sam_cat ᶜ ᶦˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᶜᵒᵒᵏᶦᵉ

9. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Successfully installed on my old clip+ that was playing up and randomly switching off, so we'll see if that behaviour continues.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

11. Mullardman

IIRC, mine was purchased as 8 gig or thereabouts gig and the blurb stated maximum SD card as 16 gig?

12. sam_cat

sam_cat ᶜ ᶦˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᶜᵒᵒᵏᶦᵉ

I am running 128gb cards... One full of audio books, another with music. Works fine.
    Tested a 256gb that a friend had, also worked fine.

Thats all on rockbox, no idea if stock firmware supports it.

13. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

Stock firmware was supporting 64gb micro sd for me when I had a Zip...

14. Mullardman

Some very useful answers there. Thanks. Will have a play on Saturday.

Just checked and mine is a Clip+