1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions for a bright, treble enhancing cartridge?

Discussion in 'audio' started by kowalski99, Nov 16, 2019.

1. kowalski99

kowalski99 pfm Member

Hi,
    I listen to mostly new vinyl pressings and find them to be quite dull/flat compared even to streaming 'free' Spotify. I understand that most new pressing are not that great, but I love collecting vinyl and playing it, so want a cartridge that may liven & brighten things up a bit.

Because of that I also need a cartridge that will also be sympathetic with poor pressings.

My system is Rega P9, Rega Eos phono amp, Rega Hal & Eon pre/power amps & Rega RS10 speakers.

I was thinking of the Ortofon Quintet Black S MC or the new Goldring Ethos, although could spend upto £1500 to find something that would really achieve what I need.
    Thanks for any advice.

I'm running a 12 month old Rega Exact at the moment, which admittedly sounds good with some records from the 1980's and earlier.

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

You don't say what your current cartridge is. If you've already got a cart which would be regarded as 'not dull and flat' then you might have a problem elsewhere.

I'd look at Lyra and Dynavector offerings within your budget, too.

3. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Anything by Audio Technica (the Focal/Naim of cartridges)

topa likes this.
  4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

As BL says. AT 95 or 110 will take the enamel off your teeth. Enjoy. Just please don't invite me round.

brumjam and deebster like this.
  5. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Maybe a rega cart? I wouldn’t describe rega stuff in general to be dull or flat sounding. Quite the opposite in fact.
    Some of the Rega tt’s can be sensitive to placement. Is your one sitting on a dedicated shelf or a heavy large cabinet with other items on it?
    Best cart I’ve heard at the approx £1k Mark is the Lyra Delos.

6. kowalski99

kowalski99 pfm Member

Haha, fair enough. I'm also suffering from a bit of hearing damage at the higher frequencies so need something to compensate.

7. kowalski99

kowalski99 pfm Member

Thanks for the suggestion. It's on a Rega shelf suspended into a stud wall.

8. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Ditch the Rega gear and buy an amp with tone controls so you can turn the treble up.

Vinyl should not sound lacking in treble so you could have issues elsewhere.

booja30 and misterc6 like this.
  9. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Audio Technica or Mofi ( based on AT ) for a 'bright' sounding MM

10. Darren

Darren All Business

The Audio technica OC 9 has nice extended treble. I've always enjoyed it.

kowalski99 likes this.
  11. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Really? I found the AT95 to be pretty dull. My AT440ML is another story though and does benefit from a loading and capacitance tweak to blunt its top octave. I didn't compare the two carts on the same table though so maybe that's the reason (the AT440ML is on a Denon DP45F and the AT95 was tested on a Pioneer PL-550).

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

We don't all hear the same. In addition I think that cartridge loading counts for a lot of so called differences between carts, as you imply.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Well, yes, some LPs I've bought in recent years haven't been great (at best!) but some, maybe not reissues, have been astounding (Leonard Cohen's albums being exemplars). Maybe it's not the cart? If something else is out in the chain, it'll negatively affect everything else (.....thinking maybe cart. set-up?).

kowalski99 likes this.
  14. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Really? News to me. I'll write that one down, just in case I forget.

15. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I'd not go with the Quintet Black S, it may be a great cart but the Shibata tip leans more on the wrong side of what you're after.

I'd look towards AT and one of their ML carts, maybe start with the new variant of OC9 XSL etc.

16. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

That's a very generous budget. I agree with posts above that hearing damage would be best compensated by tone control elsewhere. AT do have a nice extended top end, and my experience suggests that Dynavector's DV-20X2 is certainly one made to 'sparkle'. I own one and like it, but you might be better looking for a preamp with some form of tone shaping built in, and 1500 would find you such, used maybe but worth investigating I think.

17. brab

brab pfm Member

AT 150 should work. Took the paint off my walls.

18. narabdela

narabdela who?

Yep. One of the cheap AT cartridges should do the job.

19. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

The tonal balance of MM ATs depends on the phono stage loading. To a point, the lower the capacitance the better. I have an AT100e into 47k ohms and about 200pF. It closely matches my reference digital source.

20. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I’d not spend £1500 on a cartridge for a Rega when surely an upgraded record player would be the better plan.
    If hearing issues require a non standard response then why not introduce a dsp unit and tailor it to suit?