1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions for a bright, treble enhancing cartridge?

Discussion in 'audio' started by kowalski99, Nov 16, 2019.

1. chartz

chartz pfm Member

An AT 740 ML has a nicely lit treble, with the bonus of not losing it at the end of the side - ie the last track of the record side. Think MC quality here.
    I use it with no loading cap at all. The cable capacitance is just right (about 50 pF).

2. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

As others mentioned, why not try (on loan, e.g.) an amp with tone controls or a DSP? Trying to compensate for hearing loss by picking bright speakers, cartridge, etc. seems odd to me. I'd prefer the components to be accurate and neutral. Then have a single device that is designed to exactly this job, and has flexibility (eq, tone controls, DSP).

kowalski99 likes this.
  3. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Schiit Loki? Just so happens I have one too :)

kowalski99 likes this.
  4. kowalski99

kowalski99 pfm Member

well that's a whole different conversation.....

5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

AT mcs would fit the bill, I was going to say the ART-9 but I havent yet tried mine yet but the oc9s and 33ptg II have the character the OP is seeking

6. Jason P

Jason P pfm Member

AT OC9 is lively, detailed, sometimes too bright in a mismatched system - but sounds like it might be perfect in yours!

7. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

Depending on your budget, Lyras generally have a fairly hefty rise in output at the top end.

8. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Tilt the arm a bit forward. Or get tone controls. Quad's tilt function works fine.

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Yes, I was wondering whether the OP's VTA might be up the creek a bit? Do modern Rega arms still have fixed VTA, or is there an adjustable pillar these days?

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Suggested in my post 13. I'd look to the cart. set-up before coming to any other conclusions. VTA is just so easy to visually judge; if the arm is down at the back, you'll get a dull sound. Too much up at the back and it'll strip paint. Some cart's do have slight preferences, but generally one should aim for an absolutely horizontal VTA when stylus is in the groove, then tweak from there to taste. Surely every arm can e adjusted for VTA?