1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone any experience with BK subwoofers? or BK in general?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Oppala, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Oppala

Oppala Wake Up! Time To Die!

I'm particularly interested in the Gemini II or the XLS200.
    I was initially looking at an Epos sub on ebay and was checking reviews for it, but found a number of posts advising the BK subs were much better. Liking the idea of British made and seem keenly priced too. I will want to use the sub in an AV set up as well with music in my main media area. Also like the idea of the down-firing driver because I cannot 'hide' the sub.

Many thanks, Mike

2. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

i have a Down Firing BK Monolith. Took two weeks from order to delivery mine was a wee bit longer as I asked for one without the M monolith monogram. I ordered, they built, then billed. I paid they shipped.

It adds a bit of low end "kick" to both home and studio setups. As well as bit of comedy thumps in movies. I also bought the AntiMode 2.0 though them. BK Subs are quite astonishing VFM when compared to the "pro" Subwoofers out there let alone the boutique ones (which BK probably build anyway -- did you know they make other people's subwoofers?). Anechoic response and integration is about as good as it gets really.

I figure it can sit a lamp or some books or a vase of something as its quite a pleasant unobtrusive box... I don't use the supplied spikes but machine levelling feet.

[​IMG]

BK also has an online presence on eBay of a range of standard finishes where there is no wait.

3. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Mike, I bought a BK XLS200 about a month ago, it replaced a MJ Acoustics 50 pro. I never got on with the MJ and found it impossible to set up correctly. The B.K is much much better. Well made, well finished and easy to set up. For the price I couldn't be happier with it. B.K are also helpful and easy to deal with.

4. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

BK was reccomended to me by the guy that builds my mic preamps in twickenham(an ex decca engineer of 27 years)

. use their power amps in the studio.

rock solid.

5. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

BK are the bizz. I used to have a REL Stentor; too big and too boomy IMHO. I now use a BK (10" downfiring) and it is nigh on perfect. Very well made too.

6. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

If the OP did buy one and didn't like it he could sell it on AV Forums and hardly make a loss, as they're very popular over there.

7. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

He can also return within 35 days. BK state clearly that the distance selling regs applies (despite building to order, take note AVI)

8. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Even better.

9. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Another BK fan here. Excellent service, superb value for money and a first-class product.

10. sam_cat

sam_cat ᶜ ᶦˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᶜᵒᵒᵏᶦᵉ

This comes from confidence in their own products. This confidence is not misplaced.

You wont be dissapointed.

Sam

11. Bluedroog

Bluedroog pfm Member

I have the XXLS400 in the gloss black finish and am very happy. I don’t have much to compare it to as it’s the only sub I’ve owned but I just wanted to buy one decent sub, for good value that I wouldn’t feel the need to replace and the 400 does that for me.

The build quality is first rate and the performance is pretty flawless for the price and of course they have such a wide choice of finishes which is a bonus. I have heard some people getting carried away saying they beat subs costing 2 or 3 times the price, this is taking things too far but I would say they comfortably compete with subs costing as much as 50% on top.

Buy with confidence.

The subs they have on ebay are ones people have ordered and change their mind on I believe.

12. arthur

arthur Banned

I have a black Gemini 11. For the price it's simply superb. If you can afford/need bigger then you can't really go wrong with Bk.

I also have a 21 yr old MFX 900 which I recently killed and they are helping me find out how. Before that it was quite special and drove tough speakers without the tiniest perspiration.

13. scottyhammer

scottyhammer pfm Member

Yes - buy with confidence

14. Oppala

Oppala Wake Up! Time To Die!

Thats a resounding thumbs up. Thank you all for your comments. I shall be placing my order. Mike

15. Michael P

Michael P pfm Member

16. jobseeker

jobseeker pfm Member

Thumbs up from me too

17. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

great products

18. muggo

muggo pfm Member

I have a Rega sub to supplement the very bottom frequencies of my Shahinian Arcs. The thing to remember is to set them to come on as your main speakers are tailing off. You shouldn't know they are on, until you turn them off.