1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone compared Witch Hat/super lumina/ high end chord cables?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Canton, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:45 PM.

1. Canton

Canton New Member

I mean Witch Hat Morgana and Phantom against the expensive options above?

2. realysm42

realysm42 reMember

/not trolling:

I have no experience with any of the above cables, but from extensive demos, I’ve experienced differences between cables.

I’ve found there is not always a linear relationship between price and the satisfaction they deliver (indeed, I’ve traded in cables for cheaper ones before, because of the subjective improvement).

What are you looking for with the alternatives?

3. Emlin

Emlin MQA Hater!

Wire, oh wire, oh wire does this have to go on?

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  4. realysm42

realysm42 reMember

Indeed, why should someone be allowed to explore and learn?

Dave J, I.D.C., Dozey and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Is there a sleeve-note to this thread ? Of cores there must be !

Darren likes this.
  6. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

Explore perhaps but learn really isn't the right word!

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  7. realysm42

realysm42 reMember

OK?

8. agracie

agracie Active Member

I’m interested in opinions? Is that allowed?

Dave J, Dozey and Canton like this.
  9. Canton

Canton New Member

Has anyone compared these cables? I would like to know your thoughts and impressions, that’s all.

agracie and ian123running like this.
  10. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

While I have not tried any of the high end options, I replaced the Linn K20 cables with Witch Hat Phantom cables. I am very pleased with them. As it is a tri-amp system anything "fancier" would be a considerable investment and I don't think I will be needing to change anytime soon.

11. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Yet another ( Coronavirus inspired? ) cable thread...

12. ryder

ryder pfm Member

Did you check the threads on the Naim forum? There are couple there where members have compared the Super Lumina speaker cable to Chord Signature XL and Sarum T. The guy who compared the Super Lumina to the Signature XL together with the wife and daughter picked the latter to be the superior sounding cable.

It appears that most here may not have experience with the cables that you have mentioned. I am equally interested in the comparison but it's more to the Chord Signature XL, Sarum T and Witchhat Phantom. I may be wrong but most who have compared Super Lumina and Chord Signature XL or Sarum T ended up with the Chord.

Canton and Dozey like this.
  13. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

I have a chord Sarum A phono cable it delivers a very clear signal say to my V.D.H. phono cable at £250ish. The chord as you know is much more expensive in all honestly I could live with the V.D.H cable. The rest of my system is JPS cables they are very good. Power cables I dont bother with upgrading.

14. northpole

northpole pfm Member

I changed from signature (presumably these pre-dated the xl version) to sarum speaker cables and was pleased with the results. A significant improvement but the sigs didn't sound broken after the switch!! Before the signature cables I had naca5 which I / my room did not get on with at all. I have sarum t interconnects linking all components to the pre-amp which I find provide a very natural sound quality.

Peter

Canton likes this.
  15. Dave J

Dave J Übermember

Hi Peter, pleased you’re happy with the Sarum speaker cables.

I’ve not heard the Phantoms but did compare the very same cables (non T versions) that Northpole is using against SLs and was very disappointed with the SLs. Given Witch Hats Naim experience, I’d not put it past them to produce something rather better too.