1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone got some old Wima MKS2-XL 22uF/16V for sale/swap?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by hacker, Sep 12, 2019.

1. hacker

hacker Delicious and nutritious

As the thread title says: I'm looking for some 22uF 5mm lead pitch MKS2-XL polyester Wimas. If you have some spare please let me know. Thanks!

2. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Hi Carl, how many do you need?

3. hacker

I'd take 2, 4, 8, 16... however many I can get my hands on, really. I have use for them in guitar pedals and would love a stockpile for experimenting with.

4. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

I've definintely got 6, 2 unused and 4 soldered onto strip board. I should have a matching stripboard somewhere as well, will have a dig when I get chance.

5. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I have eight I could be persuaded to part with...

[​IMG]

6. hacker

Thank you, gents. PMs sent.

7. sam_cat

sam_cat C'est Crounchifique!

From memory I have quite a few of these... Let me have a dig later and see what I can find :)

8. sam_cat

sam_cat C'est Crounchifique!

My bag full are 2.2uF.. Sorry!

9. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I have loads of 4.7uF 100V if anyone is after such a thing....

10. hacker

Thanks all, I've scored enough to to the job. Much appreciated! For anyone that's interested, this is what Wima had to say when I asked about doing a run of the 22uF/16V:

Looks like we'll never see them again :(

11. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Not surprised about the yield issues, it must have been an extraordinarily-thin film to get to 22uF in that form factor / hence only support the rated 16Vac use (and that only up to moderate frequencies)

I did have a small number, played with for LF filter use, and some decoupling, and found them not consistent: the 10uF/50v parts in comparison are/were excellent.

12. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

What kind of pedal?

13. hacker

It's my take on the Dallas Rangemaster treble booster. I already have prototype #1 that's amazing... really, really good... but I think I can gild the lily a bit more using really great components. The idea is to remove sources of noise/distortion except for the germanium transistor, which does all the 2nd-order (and even order) harmonics that sound so good to our ears.

14. hacker

I'm finding that approx 25% of the 22uFs are leaky. I put those ones in a separate pile ;-)