1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone here yet demo'ed the magnepan 0.7?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Jonathan, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

I've been very curious to try the Magnepan 0.7s for a while now ... wondering if anyone's heard them yet and what they thought. I'm asking here rather than in american type forums because my taste tends to 'jive' a bit better with people here. I'm also curious how they will get on with my Qudos 160 or be an interesting alternative to the audio physic tempos ...

thots?

2. JTWzen

JTWzen pfm Member

i tried some out at home for a couple of weeks, I really liked them, in a large room my Audiolab 8000P power amp was fine driving them, surprising to me at the time given their reputation as needing lots of amplification. In the end i decided against them but the speakers I bought cost nearly 3 times as much. There were a couple of issues with imaging, good with orchestral, and rock bands, less so with solo singers, but I'm sure those could have been sorted with experimentation on positioning etc. At least listen to them.

Jonathan likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

yeah my take on the magnepan was always that they had this weird sort of artificial 'virtual reality' imaging but that's a big part of the charm

4. Tim F

Tim F pfm Member

Heard magnaplanar 1.6's years ago, some of the finest sounds I've ever heard with a Vinyl front end. Massive imaging from those beasts. Make sure you've got a big amp to drive them well.

I think they'll give a bigger soundstage than the Audio Physics but definitely less of that bass punch you get from cone drivers. Big fan of AP too so I suspect you'd miss those :)

Don't rule out electrostatics either, Martin Logan's are also really transparent.

tomek likes this.