1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone wind their own coils?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by orangeart, Jul 9, 2018.

1. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

I'm just placing an order from one of my suppliers and noticed in the catalogue that they produce the plastic bobbins for inductors. That got me thinking, does anyone wind their own ever? I'd literally have to buy thousands of them, but as far as I can see nobody at the other speaker accessories retailers sells them so I guess not.

Anyone?

Stefan

2. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

If you are trying to work out if there is a sales demand, I would say no. Falcon cover everything ~ 100 watts of bass. I just had a look and they are even cheaper and more inductor range than before up to 10mH superpower.

3. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I have done so, a few times. Plastic cotton reels with added end plates, or empty insulation tape reels are what I used. My problem was getting them to stay tight enough not to change their characteristics in use. And it was solely for cost, but now I am less poor than I was then! But of course I still unwind to get down to values I need.
    But winding mains transformers did mean I could get odd voltages. I think it was Maplin who used to sell the kits for those. I could do with one now, for the PSU for my Concordant Excelsior pre-amp.

4. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Just a thought really, I know that to some folk, DIY means DIY, but I've never bothered winding my own except for some amp output damping here and there but thought it was worth an ask. Even if it was worth getting some in, obviously folk know me for wideband speaker stuff which doesn't require much in the way of crossover components!! probably best left alone.

I find that HiFi collective has got the best range of caps 'n coils and much easier to navigate than the Falcon site

5. awkwardbydesign

And Nick is very helpful. Curiously, I have recently been reading* some views that the Jantzen air cores are harsh sounding. I have some, but I have no idea if it's true. Some of their caps are better, or worse, than other makes depending on type, but air cored coils? Hmm.
    *Offhand, I can't remember where.

6. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

I've had nothing but good results with them and at one point was set to be their distributor before Nick popped me to the post!! Jantzen them selves are extremely helpful and knowlegable so I wouldn't expect harshness at all.

7. awkwardbydesign

I have no idea if it's valid, just someone's opinion. I will be getting some Mundorf coils soon, so I will see if I can hear any difference. I somehow doubt it, though.

8. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

I'm listening to a pair of speakers I've put together (my first attempt) with Janzen aircoils and caps, no harshness at all. I did consider making my own coils, but they were low value so not really worth it.

9. Achim

Achim pfm Member

I highly recommend Harald Tschentscher - very good coils of different types, including copper foil ones. And you can talk to him about custom ones, made to whatever value you need.

He even made me a multitapped one at very reasonable cost.

http://audio-tschentscher.de

10. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

You could have done what people winding their own guitar pickups do - wax or varnish potting. They simply cannot pull that hair-fine wire tight.

BugBear

orangeart likes this.
  11. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Jantzen coils are excellent and can even be ordered in custom values - you can see them in the crossovers of many high end speakers.

12. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

Many years ago I did wind coils - but for things like experimenting with switching DC-DC converters (at a time when, as I found out, common power transistors did not switch fast enough to get anywhere near decent efficiency).

There was an electronics shop, long gone of course, called Pattrick and Kinnie IIRC, on the A118/London road west of Romford town centre. It was a frequent destination for me on a Saturday morning where I could buy coil formers of all types and enamelled wire, as well being an Aladdin's Cave of lots of other stuff for the electronics enthusiast. They had a stock of small handbooks such as one I bought covering coil design formulae.

That level of electronics DIY has faded to near-insignificance over the decades.

13. awkwardbydesign

Maplin didn't help, squeezing out the little shops before turning into glorified toy shops. The gradual reduction of military surplus would have killed them off anyway, probably, just not so soon, IMO. Hooray for the demise of the USSR then.

14. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

It's a shame really, on the other hand the new generation are able to do stuff we could never dream of from proper PCB design/fab to MCU programming, I suppose coil winding comes way down the list

15. MJS

MJS Trade: Witch Hat Audio

This is one of the reasons I went into amateur radio - there's a wealth of information and experts out there making their own coils, capacitors, antennas, rigs etc. Even though everything can be done cheaply with modules these days there's still an immense satisfaction in rolling your own.

orangeart likes this.
  16. awkwardbydesign

Indeed. :cool:
    [​IMG]

Hempknight likes this.
  17. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

DIY has always been about working out what you can do with what you can get. Finding the sources and acquiring the knowledge.

I'm more inclined towards the "on the other hand" side of the argument than towards the "it's a shame" side. I'll take today's opportunities and wouldn't want to go back.

18. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

I can remember doing one of those, very satisfying indeed!!

19. MJS

MJS Trade: Witch Hat Audio

The Camberwell Candelabra?

20. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

How many proctologists have bought them? 8-]