1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple cables. Essential or a con?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by HarryB, Jul 31, 2018.

1. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I want to run some apps for my smart bike trainer on a 42" TV. What I mean is the app runs on the phone but I see all the visuals and numbers on the big screen.

I was a bit shocked that the Apple cable is about £50 whereas the generic cables are a quarter of the price. I did some research and it's just confusing. Some people say it's an Apple marketing ploy and the copies are the same while others say only Apple cables will do the job properly.

So, I bought a copy for about £15 (one of the better, recommended ones) and have had nothing but bother with it). Yesterday I managed to get it working consistently with one of the apps but the quality of the picture on the TV screen is very poor but seems fine on the phone screen.

I'd bite the bullet and buy a genuine Apple cable but fear it won't be up to the quality I want as I've heard bad reports about this connector as well.

Just two muddy the waters, two of the three apps I want to use are available on Apple TV.

Do I pay £50 for the cable or spend an extra £100 for Apple TV? I want very little faff and good picture quality and reliability.

2. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Apple TV every day. You can then just mirror your phone screen on the TV.

3. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I thought mirroring was something quite different. I can already mirror to the TV. Quality is crap.

Perhaps I haven't explained properly. Two of the apps I want to use are available as Apple TV apps, the other isn't.

4. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

It will no doubt depend on the native quality of the app. I’ve always found sending a signal to the Apple TV a better option than messing with wires. I bet you can find a second hand one for the price of that £50 lead

5. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I'm not quite clear what you were describing or asking about. So need to clarify:

By cable, you meant ye olde set of wires from one sort of plug to another? I'll assume so.

Is this to connect your Apple device to an HDMI socket, or what?

If the picture looks poorer on the TV is this because the TV screen is larger and/or has a higher resolution, so shows up defects that you may not notice on the Apple device's screen?

What mode is being sent according to the TV? (i.e. what number of horizontal and vertical pixels in the images) and does that match the TV screen or is it having to resample what it is being fed?

I'm not clear where the problem resides. So wonder if the TV is either simply showing the limitations of the fed material or badly resampling it.

Also, if the cable was bought for this purpose but doesn't work as described, I assume you can return it and get a refund. But you may need to have been explicit about what was required or have read the description carefully.

Apologies if all the above is irrelevant because I've not understood the situation.

6. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

What are the apps? Can you use a chromecast instead?

7. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I’ve occasionally mirrored my phone/iPad to my Apple TV. Quality has been very good, though the differing aspect ratios mean there are black bars on either side of the tv.

8. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Not sure re Chromecast.

Apps are FulGaz, Rouvy and Zwift. FulGaz and Zwift are available as Apple TV apps but Rouvy isn't. All cycle training Apps.

The quality of video from FulGaz and Rouvy is meant to be very good. Indeed FulGaz have started doing 4K

Apologies for those struggling to understand me. I'm not au fait with this stuff. Riding a bike is more my niche :)

I have an Amazon Firestick but that isn't suitable as I understand it.

9. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Apple TV is an excellent piece of kit imo. Mirroring from your iThing to it should work at as high a quality as the source, but running the apps on it directly is probably better. Were you to buy one you would have a whole world of movies, tv series, apps and music to download and watch. Renting a movie through iTunes costs upwards of £1, a Netflix sub costs a few quid. Not something for summer perhaps, but when theres not much to do on a miserable winters evening a great way to access entertainment of your choice.

10. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Quality from my mother's old iPad through an HDMI adaptor is fine so far, often better than standard Sky.

She has got a good connection so not limited by broadband speed.

11. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Andy, I've probably only watched 20 films in my entire life and don't care if I never see another one. But I see your point.

I just want a totally immersive experience during winter training on my bike. I'm definitely leaning towards the Apple TV though.

Would you go for the 4K version? The TV I'm using is about five years old but a decent LG one.

12. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Unless you own, or plan to own, a 4k HDR TV there's no point.

13. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Right. So, even though the FulGaz videos are 4K they'll look the same on a version four or five Apple TV through my tele?

14. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

I don’t think there’s much point going for a 4k Apple TV unless you have, or might get, a 4k TV. If you are close to an apple shop it is probably worth buying one in person; they’ll give you a refund without hassle if it’s not for you. Not sure what cycling movies there are on Apple store, but “Pantani” is probably worth a watch, (though I haven’t), and “My Italian Secret” - the story of Gino Bartali in the war - is interesting and very moving.

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Yes, you'll be getting 1080p versions in both cases as that's all your TV supports.

16. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Thank you. That saves me a few quid.

17. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Apple TV bought. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Now the frustrating fun and games start.

AndyU likes this.
  18. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

you might get a pseudo immersive experience, but you ain't going to get a "totally immersive experience"

19. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

If you wish to try screen mirroring via AirPlay, there’s an AirPlay app available for your Firestick, it’s about £1.80 and makes the Firestick a much more useful device for iOS users. I was about to shell out on another AppleTV for my sitting room... now I don’t need to!

20. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Well, about an hours faff and I've now got FulGaz running perfectly and Zwift running but slow to respond to trackpad. Working though.

I'm running Rouvy mirrored from my phone.

Happy days.

Thanks again.

lordsummit likes this.