1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a best of or completest collector?.

Discussion in 'music' started by early, Mar 14, 2019.

1. early

early pfm Member

I've rearranged my vinyl today, it's now in genre's rather than alphabetical order.

Whilst sorting I noticed I'm a bit of a completest collector, I have ended up buying many not so great albums because I liked something else the artist did.

I'm now tying to sift through the not so good ones to get a bit more shelf room.

Surely I'm not the only one , anyone else?.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve backed right away from this in recent years and have long since pruned out and shifted all those less good late period albums etc from many, many artists. Just no point in storing stuff for no reason IMO. There are exceptionally few rock/pop acts with large catalogues that don’t show decline. Jazz tends to be rather stronger, but even then I’d not argue one needs every Keith Jarrett album or whatever (Miles & Coltrane yes, for sure, but they are in a minority). Even Bowie had a couple of dips post-RCA, though unlike most recovered with style.

3. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Not at all, really disloyal I suppose. I always try to get a listen of "another" album by a certain band before buying. If it's not to my taste then stuff it. The only exceptions are box sets that work out cheaper than cherry picking.

4. early

early pfm Member

Even Miles had his duffers , I pulled out a copy of "under arrest" today . It's that bad it's heading straight to the bin.

The upside is I've found some gems I've forgotten about , listening to Bert Jansch's LA turnaround as I type . Why have I not played this more often ?.

5. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'm a bit of a completist for artists I really like - even if it varies in quality I find it all interesting.

Of course some artists are so prolific it borders on the pointless even trying. John Zorn has 300+ recordings listed on Discogs. My first edition of The Earthly Recordings of Sun Ra lists 501 recordings (not all released!). And I expect that will have grown since it was published in 1994...

6. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Generally, if I listen to it on tidal & like it, I buy it. There are a few pop artists that I feel I “must” buy to keep the collection complete; for me that’s Elvis Costello & XTC. Put it down to being the Music of my formative years I guess.
    Even to the point that you feel kinda guilty if I don’t buy it ASAP.
    There are bands such as Porcupine Tree/ Steve Wilson that I’ve only recently discovered. I mainly prefer their later stuff over some of the earlier releases, even though I guess a lot of proper PT fans would strongly disagree with me about that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  7. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

I think I fall between both stalls. My favourite artists tend to be complete or extensive collections including some of the not so good recordings. Other artists I simply have collected the albums I like, and, if I have purchased something I don’t like I simply move it on.

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Tend not to do 'best ofs' but will stop buying an artist when they off the boil.

9. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I do the same.

10. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

If I like it I buy it.

Not bothered about getting 'all' of anything.

If an artist makes loads of albums that are to my taste then I will have 'em. No compulsion to have a whole catalog for the sake of it.

Even my favourite artists make duffers. Bowie comes to mind. Or Kate Bush (I do have most of her output :) )

sean99 likes this.
  11. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

I used to be a completionist.
    Changed when I found too many bands went 'off' or, perfect example, Neil Young made a small amount of poor albums in with the stunning ones
    I sample quite carefully before I buy now and skip some albums in a band's catalogue

12. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I am a completest for only one artist, Gordon Lightfoot.
    I love the Beatles, but stopped buying their albums after Sgt. Pepper.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Huh? Abbey Road is the best one!

serendipitydawg likes this.
  14. matt j

matt j pfm Member

You stopped just when they were getting good!

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  15. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

It would appear I have it wrong when it comes to the Beatles...

16. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Nah. Rubber Soul and Revolver are their best albums.

Weekender and Martyn Miles like this.
  17. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Revolver and With the Beatles the very best.
    Rubber Soul, Help, Sgt Pepper, White album coming up just behind
    Some of the tracks on Yellow submarine superb

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Rubber Soul through to Abbey Road minus Let It Be for me (I’m counting the US Magical Mystery Tour album in this list).

PS I have actually got them all as I have the CD mono box and the last few on vinyl.

19. hockman

hockman pfm Member

My views have evolved and changed over the years.

I am not interested in being completist about my records and CDs. There's only so much time and space (& money), so why bother with inferior albums? Even the most consistent and accomplished artists have some poor albums. I try not to be too dogmatic or judgemental; I'd still give them a try and then decide.

But I don't necessarily want to "collect" everything that a favorite musician puts out.

John.P, Durmbo, kjb and 1 other person like this.
  20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Revolver for me, though if George M had insisted on putting Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane on Sgt Pepper it would have improved it...lose Fixing a Hole and Lovely Rita?

Martyn Miles likes this.