1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkless 640p - Mini Review

Discussion in 'audio' started by Alex S, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:10 PM.

1. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

One for sale in the classified's

Tarzan likes this.
  2. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

It would be interesting to know what they’re getting instead. I’ve not had the latest iterations of Trichord, Slee or Dynavector but I’ve had older ones. My impression is the Arkless punches above those and they were better stages in the then £500-ish category.

System context might be important. My vinyl these days is rather more modest, in cost at least, than it used to be, and with the SL1200/AT it’s difficult to see how much better a phono stage could get.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Any improvement after a bit of "burn in" then?

4. Alex S

Of course not. I’m acclimatising :)

5. Arkless Electronics

In a phone conversation with Alex S a few weeks back we discussed another phono stage design I built for a few people some years back. After some thought about it and time in simulation I have it all sorted and can offer this as an alternative version of the Arkless 640P ie it's another design which I can build into the same CA casework and re-use the original PSU in the same way as the original Arkless 640P.

I'm afraid that in my eccentric and "anti-marketing" way that people should be used to by now there is really very little else I can tell you... Some technical stuff I guess in that this version uses shunt RIAA feedback and the unit is absolute phase inverting. The original Arkless 640P uses passive HF EQ and series feedback for the rest of the RIAA curve and is non inverting of absolute phase. All other specs remain the same. Each is theoretically the equal of the other. As is the way with such things there are very likely to be subjective differences... they may be subtle... or not. I couldn't comment.

Another option that occurred to me is that for those very definitely wanting to use MC only I believe it should be
    feasible for me to offer a current sensing version ie as in 47 Labs Phono Cube, RSL's new phono stage and "Dr T Mode" on the Dynavector P75. There is then no loading option as it isn't required anymore, the cart works into a "virtual short circuit" instead. I would offer this in two gain versions for lower output/low impedance LO MC's and higher output/higher impedance LO MC's.

Tim Jones likes this.
  6. Alex S

This week, I am happy with what I have.

7. Arkless Electronics

Glad to hear it! As I said there is no reason to suppose it would be any better anyway... it just may be better in some areas, worse in others... It's a different method of arriving at the same ends really. No doubt there will be some subjective differences and the two versions may appeal to different tastes... who knows... If anyone wants to try this version I will make them one... but in that order!

8. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

I dem'd one a few years ago, and it clearly bettered the DV75 I had at the time, and possibly a £700-ish Clearaudio too. I think I did a mini-review here. In terms of vfm, they are pretty hard to beat.

The RSL stage is pretty close though (and has more user adjustability, plus a proper separate PSU).

I am currently waiting for my better half to buy me the RSL for my 50th, and using a bog standard Cambridge as a stand-in. The best that could be said of it is that it...works.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  9. Arkless Electronics

Some prices for the options I described above.

Shunt feedback RIAA (an alternative design in the same casework in effect) extra £10. £50 to convert a standard Arkless 640P to this version. Postage extra.

Current sensing MC input (Note that this makes it MC ONLY) extra £30. £40 to convert a standard Arkless 640P to this version. Postage extra.

10. Marcus401

Marcus401 New Member

Jez, where would the Arkless 651p "Turbo" fit in with these options?

11. Arkless Electronics

Both 640P and 651P are the same internally and I just refer to it as the Arkless 640P... avoids (some) confusion...

I no longer do the Turbo version but it would be possible to retrofit them to a Turbo yes. It would be considerably more awkward though so I would need to charge a bit more than the figures above.

12. Alex S

The Arkless 640p is emotional and detailed, punchy, resolute, even handed, egalitarian - communist almost. It’s like dogs and their owners.

13. Arkless Electronics

My power amps literally bring power to the people:rolleyes::D

nobeone likes this.
  14. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

:)

15. unit

unit pfm Member

@Tarzan I’m very tempted by yours. How do my esteemed fishies feel it would fare against my current phono stage: naim 522s in a box with superteddyregs? Current cart is an Ortofon 2M Bronze.

16. Arkless Electronics

It beats Naim phono boards and the prefix according to many customers. I've no idea what specifically 522's are though.

17. unit

unit pfm Member

MM boards designed to be horizontally mounted, eg in the Nait 3

18. Arkless Electronics

Aha... I have had several customers for the Arkless 640P who used it to replace Naim 32 and 42 etc phono sections and a few who used it to replace Naim Prefix. All said it was a good upgrade.

unit likes this.
  19. Alex S

The supertedregs have a great reputation and it’s a long time since I had Naim boards but I’d be very surprised if the Arkless wasn’t a significant improvement.

If you’re buying second hand/tarzan’s you may as well just try it.

unit likes this.