1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Artists with long run (back to back) of high quality albums

Discussion in 'music' started by aedagnino, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I didn't include eponymous in the first run, but you are right on that front. Green is an absolute classic, they didn't make a bad record on IRS & they sounded like no one else in the context of the time. New Adventures.. I do really like, not sure it hangs together as whole, certainly their best from the later period.

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I have Chronic Town, it is rather good, I suppose it is classed as an EP. Regardless of whether each Album is considered great or not I still think it is the finest run in popular music, certainly in the last 30 odd years

3. Nytechy

Nytechy pfm Member

(British) Motown Chartbusters Vols 1-3 Funk Bros

4. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

You forgot 'Songs in Red and Gray'.

5. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

Songs in red and grey whilst good is not as fantastic as the other 4. I am not the biggest fan of her 1st album although there are a couple of great tunes on it.

6. deebster

deebster pfm Member

The Trashcan Sinatras over their 30 years

Cake
    I've Seen Everything
    A Happy Pocket

Then 8 years until

Weightlifting
    In The Music
    Wild Pendulum

Yep, all of them

gassor likes this.
  7. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Soundgarden; Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, Down On The Upside:

Steve Hillage; Fish Rising, L, Motivation Radio, Green:

8. Ganders

Ganders Member

Wedding Present-Tommy,George Best,Bizarro,Sea Monsters.......all magic!

The Smiths run of albums first to last was pretty strong too.

As someone else mentioned: Neil Young,forget high quality,every album from Everybody Knows to Zuma is at least a near masterpiece, can't think of a better sustained run of excellence by anyone.

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Still think REM are the winners

10. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Apart from Van the Man, the most consistent run of albums that I'm always in the mood for is from Tony Joe White. People call it swamp rock, dunno about that, but the way the guitars buzz in and out of the speakers is mesmerising. He made 16 albums and apart from the live ones they are all great. Try any track from The Shine, Voodoo or Rain Crow and there's no way back.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Genuinely never heard of him

12. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Always got narked seeing his albums when I was flicking through looking for Andy White

Swamp rock eh? Guess I owe him a listen

*edit - sodding iPad autocorrect ducks me off

13. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

well i wouldn't call their run exactly 'long' but maybe compared to others but wanted to give kudos to 999 (who i liked more in my youth) for being consistently great - or at least having always improved over their career

14. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Not a stronger contender IMO

The Bends (1995)
    OK Computer (1997)
    Kid A (2000)
    Amnesiac (2001)
    Hail to the Thief (2003)
    In Rainbows (2007)
    The King of Limbs (2011)
    A Moon Shaped Pool (2016)

Pablo Honey is OK but not really what they have become so I started with The Bends.

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

REM's is longer & stronger. I have all of the above but none have grabbed me as much as the Bends & OK Computer, the latter is a true contender for all-time greatness.

16. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I don't think I've listened to an REM album for 20 years or more, no desire to do so either. Just another pointless subjective music thread really.

17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Why keep it going by contributing then?

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

To add Radiohead to the list.

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

You missed his best album, Rainbow Dome Musick!

20. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I'd put it "Everybody Knows" through "Hawks & Doves".

martin dawson likes this.