1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

At last... (Audiolab) - part I

Discussion in 'audio' started by sq225917, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Hallelujah. A reasonable price too.

3. Paul3

Paul3 pfm Member

You getting one to audition? Who supplies them?

4. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

much better.... loved the westlake pt stuff and he claims this is better - just dont need the cd transport - is the pre amp / dac one coming out anyone know?

5. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

looking at the cd / dac / pre - bloody good specs and price for that much gear

6. prowla

prowla pfm Member

7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Now if it could store music instead of spin CD's it'd be highly interesting....

8. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

thats what ive got 2 tb oof storeage and a mac for

9. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Mmm, perhaps I could sell my Naim CD 5 and Flatcap 2x.

Jack

10. sq225917

Form an orderly queue...

I just want the DAC but I'll take the DQ CD... Should be interesting times ahead for those overpriced 'boutique' DACs that are enjoying the run of things at the minute.

11. TLS

TLS pfm Member

Do you really believe what is said in that promotion? If you like the sound of Naim amplification in the first place, you will not find it in a Audiolab product.

12. Cereal Killer

How did you work that one out?

13. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

If it had HDCD it could have been even better. They even get 5 points more than every other moron manufacturer for placing the eject button away from the drawer.

Now if we could just get the default display to be track time remaining, they really would be geniuses.

14. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Can anyone explain that to me and what would be required to use this to front a hard drive system

15. sq225917

It supports Async USB from PC at 24/96. And also uses a little used remote control feature buried in the USB protocol that allows it to control the basic function of itunes and media player. I have no idea if the same can be used to navigate a NAS. It's basically track forward, track back, play pause and stop.

it also does 24/192 over Spdif, electrical and Toslink, but your other hardware needs to be able to manage it. Most computer Toslinks can't output 192, and most spdif can only do it on dual cable. (Curiously my shitty Cambridge Audio cd player can input and output both at the higher format over single wire, yet Chord and DCS can't...)

16. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

Intrigued by Peter Comeau's comment - "At last I can forget the source and just listen to the music."

Makes you wonder what he's been listening to all these years

17. Cereal Killer

So what's your thoughts then Darren?

18. per flemming

per flemming Registered User

IMO
    UK Audiolab stuff was good but not very interesting if one likes the way a Naim cd/amp is presenting music.

Quite sterile sound by previous 8000M/Q/CD, lots of power.. 8000T beeing the only one I'd love to own again.

Hope above is past and they now have hit the spot

19. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

Its not the blurb or the badge.

This is the long awaited dac by John Westlake, who designed the Pink Triangle DaCapo which was a very fine dac.

And he said this one's better....

20. Cereal Killer

So what kinda company is Audiolab these days, have they lost their association with that group???, where and how are they manufactured and are/will they be making serious 'hifi' again???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.