1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Atc active 19 vs 20

Discussion in 'audio' started by chris peacock, Feb 12, 2020.

1. chris peacock

chris peacock Member

I’ve been following all the recent atc active threads with great interest. My room is about 4 by 4.5m so looking at the 19a. There is also the scm20aslt on atc website. What is the difference with the 19a? More wood finishes and almost double price but what else? Any difference at moderate level?

thanks in advance.

2. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Bit like asking whether you want punching in the face or kicking in the balls.

Caledon1297 and Peter McDermott like this.
  3. Musicraft

Musicraft Trade: Musicraft

19 litre v 20 litre, both use same mid/bass unit, 19's use SH25-76 HF unit v 20's Super SH25-76S HF unit, power 19's LF 150w/HF 32w v 20's LF 200w/HF 50w, 19's cabinets are from the far east v 20's cabinets are from the UK and 20's offer higher quality and quantity of finishes.

4. chris peacock

chris peacock Member

Thanks musicraft, have you listen to both?

Musicraft likes this.
  5. jagdesign

jagdesign pfm Member

Also very interested if anyone has compared these. The 20’s certainly look like the proper ‘ATC’ speaker.

6. Roger Adams

Roger Adams Well-Known Member

Those room dimensions are going to give a broad mode centred some where around 40-45 hz.

The main issue will be to have a significant roll off before there IME.

Forgive me if the frequencies are out. It's been a long time :)

7. chris peacock

chris peacock Member

Thanks Roger, I’m also looking at linn front end which have a space optimisation feature.

8. stewart

stewart pfm Member

Another pointless post.
    Why bother?

9. david ellwood

Pot kettle? All posts are ultimately pointless, mine was humourous, succinct and honest.

10. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

Some comparative views under the thread "SCM19A vs SCM20ASL Pro Mk2?" are available on ATC forums if that helps (note that Brad Lunde is the US distributor).

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It was none of those things;)

12. sunshine

sunshine pfm Member

Hi, I’m very happy with the 19A. Aesthetically, I’ll prefer the Tower series 20A, however, the 20A cost quite a bit more than the 19A. Nevertheless, I’m happy with the 19A purchase and did not think about the 20A again. I have a smaller room than yours.

13. JamesJamerson

JamesJamerson pfm Member

Did you have a nasty experience with ATC when you are a child or something ? Sure as shittin', every time they are mentioned, you come on like Harvey Keitel in the "Duellists". Please don't ever stop, your reaction is one thing we can rely on in this crazy unpredictable world. Sir, I salute your indefatigibilty !

AndyU likes this.
  14. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

He prefers pairs of KEFKIT 3s wired in amplifier destroying parallel in funny boxes. He’s welcome!

15. david ellwood

Maybe I’m wrong, I’d happily compare my kefkits. Any takers?

AndyU likes this.
  16. chris peacock

chris peacock Member

David, I was starting a genuine thread with a genuine interest ...

17. chris peacock

chris peacock Member

Thanks Sunshine, I’ll have to get both models in the house to see if the price difference is worth it, otherwise the 19a look really like a great proposition.

AndyU likes this.
  18. david ellwood

Sorry Chris,

have you heard one or the other already?

Is there not a dealer that can play you them side by side?

if you’re absolutely set on ATC, why not consider passive SCM40 and then enjoy the ‘sublime’ dome mid?

19. Musicraft

Musicraft Trade: Musicraft

Sorry for not responding as i am very busy however rest assured that i will get back to you.

20. chris peacock

chris peacock Member

Thanks musicraft, looking forward to it.

Musicraft likes this.