1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Atc cd players

Discussion in 'audio' started by Woodface, Apr 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Anybody have any experience with ATC CD players? Quite like the idea of a simplified system with active speakers so a CD player with pre outs/ins is appealing. Just idle pondering at the moment.

2. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

I have an ATC CDA2 Mk2 driving ATC SCM50A active loudspeakers.

A Raspberry Pi connected to the USB input adds networking. So, as well as the CD player the system integrates FM tuner, Qobuz, internet radio, PC music library, PC as a source, TV and DVD player.

A Logitech Harmony Elite and an iPhone with the Harmony app plus iPeng controls it all (and there's an IR mains switch to power it all up and down). Once set up it's very simple in use and very satisfying sonically as well as musically.

3. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Most likely this isn't going to help directly, but I heard dCS Bartok into 100SE actives and it was superb playing digital files. It's my belief that you will hear differences in front ends via good active speakers so I'd try to hear some alternatives before buying, it is worth it.

But the most obvious factor for SQ is usually acoustics (first step positioning of speakers and listeners) as we all know.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

This is the route I am considering, I may go for ATC 40's but sale of other gear could fund the 50's. What CD player did you have before? My main concern is that I have a TT so the pre-amp section would need to be decent. I currently have a full naim rig (252/SC/250 fed by CDX/XPS & LP12). My thinking is, first audition the ATC speakers & see if they work in my room; my dealer rates naim/atc combo & I do trust him. The mass of boxes just seems overkill for 2 sources.

5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

presumably you have seen the atc cd all in one at musicraft for 1199 , seems a good deal

6. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

I have long kept to a minimum the number of boxes in use :) but I still have a few in storage :(.

The previous CD player was a Quad CD-P (the Mk1). It has six digital inputs (but not the analogue inputs the CDA2 Mk2 has). I used it in the same way for many years to integrate all of my digital sources. I couldn't use my analogue FM tuner but I did use a tuner with a digital FM demodulator and digital output.

I haven't had a TT for a very long time so I can't really comment on how good the ATC CDA2 Mk2's analogue inputs are. They sound fine to me with my Quad FM4 tuner but I mostly listen to streamed radio these days.

As for SCM40A vs SCM50A, to my ears the 40As sound quite close to the 50As and are comparatively superb value if the sonic signature is to your taste.

7. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

I’ve had a variety of ATC actives over the years, sized according to where I lived, from SCM 100ASLs thru SCM25As and now SCM50ASLT. Front end has been mostly some kind of laptop, occasionally a Squeezebox Touch, into a variety of DACs from Benchmark or Chord. Always a really simple, flexible system, but I had abandoned vinyl years before so it was easy. There are good DACs with phono inputs from Mytek, also Benchmark do good DACs with plenty inputs so you could use a phono stage. I wouldn’t believe everything a naim dealer said, especially when it comes to ATCs. Just drive them with a good DAC/pre with balanced outputs and you’ll have a great simple system. At some point you will drop cd replay in favour of ripped files or streamed files, so I don’t think having a CD player/DAC/pre is the most flexible way to go. A separate, cheap, transport and a good DAC gives you more options. As to the difference between the 40s and 50s, I thought they were quite substantial. The 50S have a better midrange unit, a better (SL) bass unit and I think also the pro level tweeter. But whether they are worth the extra only you can decide; the 40s are certainly ridiculously good value.

8. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

If that was at the Audiobarn on Saturday, I was there too. The dCS Bartok is of great interest to simplify a system with digital sources only and no CD player.

With the increasing quality of streamed radio I am close to retiring my radio tuners, so the Bartok's lack of analogue inputs will soon present no problem. More of a problem with the OP's turntable, though.

And I find myself playing CDs less and less often as many of the discs in my collection that I listen to often are available on Qobuz. Only relatively few (e.g. those from Hyperion) would need to be ripped onto the music server. And that can be done on the PC.

darrenyeats likes this.
  9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

My dealer sells Meridian, Naim, atc & Arcam mainly so given the choices I am making he is onto a winner either way. I have know the bloke for over 20 years so he not just a 'naim dealer'. I have a lot of CD's & Vinyl so unlikely to ever go full stream.