1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

ATC SCM19 How good?

Discussion in 'audio' started by koi, Mar 24, 2020.

1. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

Due to their relative low sensitivity they project best into the room with ample current behind them.

2. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Wouldn't say they were that different.. the KEF 103.2 and the ATC 19 are in some ways fairly similar designs - both 2-way sealed box standmounts, both 1" soft tweeter , KEF has an 8" woofer and 25 litres, the ATC a 6" woofer and 19 litre volume so not miles apart spec wise.

3. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

I’ve owned a fair few pairs of ATC speakers, both active and passive, and tried a few others also. I would buy any of them again, they just work. All good. If you’ve got an all mouth and no trousers amplifier it will be found wanting.

torstoi and koi like this.
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

if you actually read that back they are quite different, 6 litres in volume & 2" of mid/woofer. As a % that is quite marked.

5. koi

koi pfm Member

Yes I appreciate my amps will need to change if I go passive route I may look at exposure range.

AndyU likes this.
  6. jagdesign

jagdesign pfm Member

You could bypass amp selection and give the 19As a go?

I run an M-Dac and EAR 834P direct in to mine.

koi likes this.
  7. Musicraft

Musicraft Trade: Musicraft

All things being equal passive SCM40’s over passive SCM19’s and active SCM40’s over active SCM19’s. Fwiw, since the Entry Series was launched in 2006 we’ve not sold passive SCM19 MK1 or passive SCM19 MK2 over passive SCM40 MK1 or passive SCM40 MK2 nor for that matter active SCM19A’s over active SCM40A’s.

koi likes this.
  8. wintoid

wintoid pfm Member

I went from passive SCM40 mk1 to passive SCM19 mk2, and the improvement was massive. I was worried the bass wouldn't be as good, or that by missing a driver, it would sound congested, but the SCM19 mk2 just seems to handle anything. Powered by a Bryston.

divedeepdog and koi like this.
  9. dna audio

dna audio Trade: DNA Audio

The ATC 19 are quite a big standmount and require a really good pair of stands and a decent amplifier to give their best. With that in mind if you are going to change your power amp anyway the 19A would make a lot of sense. The improvement in control and resolution of the active version is significant and it also means that you no longer need some stands. Due to the extra weight of the active version and the built in spike support bar at the front the 19A is a lot more stable than 19 on stands. The SCM40 is our most popular 3 way floor stander, we sell about the same number of active pairs as passive. The people who buy passive are usually quite heavily invested in their amplifier setup and reluctant to let it go. Active nearly always sounds better even if their power amp is in the 4k and sometimes upward territory. It also reduces the box count which does seem to appeal to a lot of people.

koi likes this.
  10. dna audio

The new tweeter is excellent, all hand made to ATC's own design in Stroud, we have seen them being made and they are a real labour of love. The 3 way designs do benefit from the 3" dome mid driver which I think is one of the best mid drivers in existence. If you look at the ATC speaker price and then look at the quality of drive units and crossovers no other manufacturer puts this proportion of the sale price into the drivers and crossovers. They are a modern day Hi-Fi bargain. I had a pair of 3 way speakers with a pretty high ticket price (above 10k) a few years back. They featured a pretty much bottom of the range 27mm soft dome inside that retailed for £35 at Wilmslow. Probably cost the well known brand £20 each! Some brands focus on marketing, ATC focus on the engineering of their products.

11. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

Indeed. I got a replacement tweeter from atc for scm11 and it was £110...

12. antonio1

antonio1 pfm Member

@dna audio
    I totally agree about what you say about actives but I've one question if you please and have knowledge on a specific matter.
    I've never liked passive 19s at the end of say a SN2, powerhouse Cyrus ,and atc external amps ,anytime a sterile matching to me, whereas a SN2 made wonders with passive 20's. Also like very much actives 40s
    Do you have any ideas on that? (20s should even be harder to drive but didn't quite work that way, reminded me more active 50s!!)

13. dna audio

It is of course very subjective. The ATC loudspeakers are very transparent, they reveal everything on the recording. Bass is very precise without overhang and this can be perceived as a lack of warmth. For me in a conventional carpeted room I think that they strike a good balance with the naim kit. If someone was a big tannoy and valve lover I wouldn't suggest a combination like the ATC and Naim but most of the ATC we have sold has been with Naim systems or the odd cyrus monobolocks for passive and a pretty even split between Naim and Linn for actives. Most people think that the ATC are quite subtle on first listen in our demo room, they don't instantly grab you with overbearing treble and bass like some of the big brands do. They suit prolonged listening and do not fatigue if partnered with decent ancilliary equipment.

On the tweeter front the units have great build quality. ATC could really charge a lot more than £110 for a driver of this quality but instead choose to charge a fair price based on the true costs and lack of serious marketing expenses. To top it all they are a great company to deal with. As we are shut at present I have brought our 40A home, looking forward to getting them hooked up once teaching my kids for the day is over. Many hours of listening ahead which I wouldn't normally get that much time to do.

AndyU and koi like this.
  14. dna audio

The Kef might have a similar spec but KEFs are usually quite warm sounding in comparison, usually very good dispersion due to the UNI-Q driver and nice Aesthetics. Not usually as good at resolving bass as the ATC and when you get up to models with the ATC 3" dome the ATC are miles better. Kef have the 1k and 2k active speaker market down to a t though. The LS50 combines lots of features, styling and good enough sound to satisfy most people at that price point.

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I had ATC40s on an extended home dem, about 6 weeks, they just draw you in to what’s on the record. I have them hooked up to a full naim system with a LP12, works really well.

koi likes this.
  16. dna audio

We had a customer who had a NAP300 and SL2 and an N-Sub. He bought SCM40 to replace the SL2. Bearing in mind these cost £5k in 2001 this gives you an idea of how good they are. If he didn't already have a NAP300DR he might have bought the 40A.

torstoi likes this.
  17. torstoi

torstoi pfm Member

I'd even suggest the KEF103.2 is clearly ahead of an ATC19.
    ATC is famous for it's 40yrs-backwards-engineering capability to be able to keep a respectfully lower standard than something that had already been 15yrs outclassed & outdated by NS of Yamaha by the time it came out new.

Ahead to the past is the new back to the future.

18. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

I was taught that any sentence with the word “clearly” in it was rarely true.

torstoi likes this.
  19. torstoi

torstoi pfm Member

Absolutely :)
    Kan I is better than KEF103.2, Dali Menuet way better than Kan, ATC7 beats Menuet with ease,
    SCM19 better than SCM7.
    And KEF103.2 beats SCM19 CLEARLY, of course..

As you rightfully stated earlier, just alike the NS..if the ATCs don't shine, it's the amps.
    I have no idea what amps he has but I have an educated guess..