1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Atoll?

Discussion in 'audio' started by ciderglider, Feb 13, 2020.

1. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

I am interested in Atoll amps, in particular the IN200 SE. I have not found much about them on the Web, but the reviews I have found suggest the bass they provide is not the tightest. Anyone here have experience with Atoll? My current amp is a Hegel H70, with Spendor SP1/2e speakers.

2. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I had an IN80 for 10 years. Good sound but unexceptional and badly built.
    I’d give their products a wide berth now.

ciderglider likes this.
  3. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

No prolonged experience but I was not impressed by their stand at Munich. Other stands using the sam model of booth managed much better.

ciderglider likes this.
  4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes i have been reading about the atoll cd200 and IN200 signature , fascinating company whose chassis are made in brittany , front panels in Lorraine , motherboards in the Pays Basque and power supplies in the Rhone region . even the packaging is made in France . they sell in 34 countries around the world . there is a review in HI Fi critic july sept 2019

https://www.hificritic.com/store/p144/hificritic-vol12-no-4.html

the review was very positive

ciderglider likes this.
  5. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

I've ordered the HIFi Critic review. Will the back issue be worth the £10 they charge for it? My interest in Atoll was sparked by the fact their amps provide an HT bypass, and there's a local dealer. The Hegel H90 also provides HT bypass at a similar price, but no local dealer.

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , the price is well worth it , i pay 75 quid for a years sub for 4 copies !

7. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

The review of the Atoll equipment is indeed quite favourable, although the reviewer is Chris Frankland, the advocate of the Linn Basik cartridge.

Looking at the specs for the Atoll amps, they have an optional MM/MC phono module, which has an input impedance of either 47k or 100k. That sounds a bit odd to me; the input impedance for an MC input is usually a few hundred Ohms. Is the impedance offered by the Atoll going to be a problem? My cartridge recommends a loading of greater than 20 Ohms.