1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Audiophiles and Snake Oil...

Discussion in 'audio' started by G T Audio, Jan 24, 2020.

1. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Quantum and quad are not the same thing.

2. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Yes I get that, I was just being tenuous ...

3. narabdela

narabdela who?

I doubt it. Anyone who wasn’t sceptical of that pseudo-scientific bollox wouldn’t have been smart enough to notice the spelling howler. ;)

4. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

At least they do not claim to be anything but subjective here:

"Subjective improvements include better timbral accuracy where separate instruments and voices take on a new degree of life-like realism"

Maybe they spell differently in California ?

5. vln

vln Shuns mooks. And MQA.

6. seethroughyou

seethroughyou pfm Member

On the surface he sounds knowledgable, convincing perhaps seductive but when you see his other reviews it’s the same ole same ole “this is definitely better because I can hear it and I said so and you aren’t spending enough to get rid of this issue and that issue ...” He is part of the snake oil mumbo jumbo problem that has alienated an entire generation of young people from Hifi (not to mention the very special breed of veil lifting upgraditis golden eared audiophiles and the greedy dealers that push 5-figure components otherwise it’s no good).

narabdela, SteveS1, booja30 and 3 others like this.
  7. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Indeed. When it got to Auralic he couldn’t help himself .

seethroughyou likes this.
  8. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

Not one of his better vids........

9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Do you really think that's what the problem is? Most people don't care about hi-fi because most people never did.

pjdowns likes this.
  10. garyi

garyi leave blank

I like his iDvd style intro texts, and 'swosh' noise.

11. Folkman

Folkman pfm Member

'have I got bad news for you' --- what a laugh. Just a load of personal opinion and likes / dislikes.

12. piccadilly

piccadilly pfm Member

Remember Peter Belt?

SteveS1 and Emlin like this.
  13. narabdela

narabdela who?

At least his BS was (mostly)inexpensive. I think he was genuinely bonkers rather than dishonest.

Emlin likes this.
  14. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

It seems a lot of people - at least those i see outside of the 'high end' community etc have a strong tendency toward expectation bias (not that we don't) simply based on their own MODEL of what is or is not possible - often this this may have to do with poring over spec sheets and reducing the possibilities to frequency range, tonal balance, and background noise (S/N ratio) and not much more. I was demoing a really really nice mic that I thought had amazing dynamics and a kind of (please permit me) '3D' presentation to a musician friend - and his only real observations were 'yeah good treble - good bass'. NOT to say that US audio folk aren't limited by our own models either however - the language we use tends to limit what we 'see into' the music i think. So anyway i think this is a kind of interesting aspect of how language shapes our experience or perception. I have a tendency to think that typical specs are next to useless in a world were nearly ALL audio equipment meets basic 20hz-20khz type specs ... as i'm sure MOST here will agree there are really no specifications for 'quality'. I don't see it as a major problem that we are forced to describe audio reproduction with flowery words. Words are evocative and connote experience. Sorry about this 'word pablum' by the way - just a few things that have been on my mind for a while and needed to get down 'on paper' as it were.

15. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

he had a very good point though about studio monitors

16. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Very well put Jonathan, totally agree with your sentiment.

17. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

He lost all credibility with me at the point an oscilloscope was positioned mirroring his head. I held strong though and made it as far as his explanations of the meanings of the words hifi and audiophile. I think I did well.

18. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

The fact he’s making the vid in the first place is enough really ...

19. Folkman

Folkman pfm Member

Not at all , again he's just generalising. Some of the best speakers ive ever heard , and use , are domesticated studio monitors.

20. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Yup. It’s like music too.

Beethoven’s 5th can be encapsulated as essentially just “Duh, Duh, Duh Durr”.

awkwardbydesign and Mr Pig like this.