1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Avondale Audio TAPS

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Stew B, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

Selling my Avondale Audio TAPS power supply for LP12, I bought this new from them around 1992. Housed in genuine Naim CB shoebox case as photograph. Full working order, though the on/off switch is slightly sticky but does operate as per the photo.

This is 33 RPM only, and is an excellent PS option for an LP12.

£275 plus insured postage, pick up from Hadleigh Suffolk would be better but I will post if you want, it will be shipped in Naim packaging as shown. I do not want to send uninsured as not worth the risk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

I am struggling getting photo's to attach, have managed two now, not great but anyway if you want to see more I can email you a link

3. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Bargain! The TAPS is a very good LP12 supply. In my opinion the three best are this, the Norton and Armageddon and there isn't much between them.

4. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

5. DCA

DCA pfm Member

Truly excellent PS for the LP12 and a good price too. Rarely available as most who have hang on to them (me included)
    GLWS
    Cheers
    David

6. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

Bump for the weekend

7. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

8. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

Nobody interested then? Those of you with Valhallas, this is a good upgrade, it's what I did in the past. Cheaper option than some of the others and Avondale are good. I only changed as I did need 45 rpm so went for a Lingo 1, cant say it is better but for me I needed this. If you only want 33 rpm then this is a really good PS for the LP12.

9. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

A bump from me. I have a TAPS but in a stock case not a nice Naim box!

Mine has been absolutely faultless, in terms of performance, it is definitely at or above the Armeggedon and Lingo 1.

10. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

11. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Surprised this is still for sale. Totally agree about it being on a par with an Armageddon and comfortable better than a Lingo. The parts alone would cost close to the asking price and very easy to swap the case around to make it match any Naim system. What's not to like?

12. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

13. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

I am open to offers

14. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

15. 1000RPM

1000RPM pfm Member

will this drive any 50Hz AC Motor (ie for Thorens TD150)? Thorens used a 16 pole motor, the LP12 was 24 pole I think.

16. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

TBH I do not know, I used it with both the original 1983 LP12 motor and the new type one that I bought around 4 years ago, not sure how they compare to the Thorens one. You could give Avondale a ring and ask them, it's output to the motor is set similar to the other supplies for an LP12 such as Valhalla, Armageddon, Lingo etc to work with the motor pulley to sub platter ratios for the correct speed, so I dont know how these tie up with the Thorens.

17. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

18. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

Before I resort to ebay anyone interested at £235 + postage or pick up locally

19. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Try Gumtree. Totally free so why not? Crazy bargain for a top LP12 PSU. Amazed it hasn't sold yet.

20. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

From what I remember the TAPS Naim clone is just a mains step down xformer a resistor and a capacitor (or two). That lot costs very little but the Naim case is where the money is going.

Cheers,

DV