1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Avondale Mini Cap 6 components

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by ratovan2, May 21, 2020.

1. ratovan2

ratovan2 Member

Hi all,
    I am trying to confirm the component sizes needed for the Avondale Mini Cap 6.
    I have found from a prevoius PFM thread that the Cap 6 full size uses the following:
    Capacitors as 6800uf @ 63v
    Inductors Fastron 5.6uH 8amp
    Would these values be suitable for the Mini also ?
    Are there any alternative sized Inductors that could be used as those sizes are on a seriously long restock from most suppliers.
    These are to be used to feed a pair of Avondale NCC200`s that I am planning to build.
    Any help/opinions gratefully received.

2. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Maybe save the effort and just use a pair of 15,000uF 40V Epcos and a std rectifier bridge from RS

:-s

Gervais Cote likes this.
  3. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

The last lot of inductors I bought from Les were 10uH.

4. nuit73

nuit73 nuit73

Some use 5 uH or 10uH in place of the 5.6 uH (on Les board cap), and it's more easy to find on suppliers
    No problem to use this other value

For the capacitor, to your taste, you can use four 6800uf and two 10000 on the last pair
    Kendeil "Snap-in" sound good, you can use Nichicon Gold Tune too, and you can mix the two
    Some use Mundorf cap on the laste two capacitor on the bank

With no pcb board, you van use some CO39 K01 of Kendeil with only wire (i use 22000uf 75 volts)

5. ratovan2

ratovan2 Member

6. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

You don't need that high a current rating. What's the ripple current rating of the caps? Maybe 3A? They do next nothing anyway. Just use a wire link betwen the last pair of caps and a 10W 0.47 Ohm resistor in place of the first pair - the resistor will at least cut down higher frequency noise from the rectifier. In my experience the NCC200 dosn't normally need this sort of PSU and is quite happy with a pair of 6,800UF +caps.

7. ratovan2

ratovan2 Member

Thanks Dan,
    Food for thought.
    I have the PCB so will use it but maybe look at how I populate it.

8. Luca

Luca pfm Member

ratovan2 likes this.
  9. nuit73

nuit73 nuit73

You have to choose to your taste

with or without inductor and with resistor on the last pair wiyhout inductor
    you can use or not the board and use wire and CO39 cap (i use Kendeil CO39 K01 22000 uf and 75volts) the 75 volts version sound better

Everyone has their opinion fo the assembly, CO39, Snap-in....

The last version of Les board is with inductor (under the board and with 10000uf Snap-in Capacitors)
    [​IMG]

10. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

You put 6 off 22,000uF caps on the board? What on earth for? I expect that you meant that you use 2.

2x 6,800uF of good quality with low ESR is enough - BHC or Mundorf, or Epcos.

11. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

I've actually got a bag of 5.5A Panasonic inductors that I think will fit. PM me if you want them.

12. nuit73

nuit73 nuit73

I use CO39 with wire not with the PCB board
    The board are only with the Snap-In

When i use CO39, il use four or six CO39 per mono amp, il sound great
    I begin 25 years ago with four CO39 on my Naim nap 135 with two external CO39

13. nuit73

nuit73 nuit73

Yes 5.5 uH inductors is perfect to put on the board

14. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Mine are RS part no. 675-5510. 12uH, 5.5A

15. ratovan2

ratovan2 Member

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies, sorry for the lack of response, my notifications seem to have stopped?.
    Dan K, thanks for the offer but I found the exact same component during my search for parts and ordered a bag.
    Unfortunately I have been "persuaded" by the wife to decorate the kitchen and utility before starting assembly, so project temporarily slowed.
    Will feedback once under way.

16. nuit73

nuit73 nuit73