1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bach's orchestral suites

Discussion in 'classical' started by FrankF, Mar 14, 2020.

1. FrankF

FrankF pfm Member

These works have remained among my favourite since the first time I heard them 35-40 years ago. I never tire of them. So I was wondering what your most liked versions might be? Maybe through your suggestions I may discover a great performance I'm not familiar with. There are several versions I like but as is usual for me there's bits and pieces in almost every version that don't work for me. Of course this is personal taste. For starters I don't like performances of these works that are played lightening fast or are so slow I can't even get involved. I'd love to hear some of your favourites.

2. George J

George J Herefordshire member

GML likes this.
  3. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Karl Richter and the Munich Bach Orchestra from 1960-61 do it for me, especially in their rather splendid 4th Suite.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Me too! Started when I was a student. Those appended to the Brandenburgs on the Trevor Pinnock, English Concert set from that period, 1981, on Archiv are excellent-
    Bach: Brandenburg Concertos; Orchestral Suites https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000057D8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_prDBEb0YQ96M6

...but my real favourite is Suzuki!

Bach: Ouvertures - The 4 Orchestral Suites /Bach Collegium Japan · Suzuki https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BLI3H0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_tpDBEb7TVHGCE

5. cnocmoy10

cnocmoy10 pfm Member

English Chamber Orchestra Phillip Ledger Orchestral Suites 1-3