1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Balanced system into single ended power amp...

Discussion in 'audio' started by JemHayward, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

1. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

My current system is all balanced - Audiolab MDAC, Putzeys balanced preamp, and my power amp is balanced too.

I want to use a single ended power amp for a time, and when I was using the MDAC on its own, I would have just used the single ended outputs, but I have my balanced volume control in the way now, so that isn't an easy option.

So, should I just make up and XLR to phono lead (and if so, could someone remind me of the right way to do that) or would I be better off using a transformer, which was how my old EAR890 did it? I may also need to attenuate as well, as my present power amp is low gain, and the temporary one will be high gain. What would be the best method of attenuation (I have some decent -10dB XLR in line attenuators, but may need more than that).

2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Just take outputs from one polarity of the balanced outputs and take that to phono plugs. IE there is +, - and ground at each balanced output so use either + and ground of each output or, for phase reversal, - and ground of each output. You lose half the output signal anyway by using it single ended so may not need any attenuation, depending on just how sensitive the new power amp is.

3. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

4. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I think sensitivity is 500mV for full output, so I think things may be a bit loud... though halving the output by losing half the voltage would be a start...

Pro/Con of using a transformer arrangement? Cost is one obvious con.

5. Arkless Electronics

I refer you to my first post.... It's both the best, the simplest and the cheapest.
    There are no advantages and lots of disadvantages to the transformer unless you are planning on using 100 yards of interconnect..

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  6. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

It just isn’t necessary, also transformers aren’t particularly linear devices and can cause more issues than they solve. Just do as Jez suggests and you’ll be fine. Add the attenuators if necessary.

7. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

If you're taking the output from the BPBP then you should connect pin 2 to the centre/live terminal of the RCA and pin 3 to sleeve/ground. It doesn't have 2 active "halves" at the output, rather it has a balanced impedance output, and the output signal only exists between pins 2 and 3. The is no signal between either of those pins and XLR "ground".

Have a look at the circuit diagram. It's in "The G Word" document

For other balanced output devices, then generally follow Jez's suggestion. For these devices if you follow my suggestion above you'll short out one half of the output circuit, but not in the case of the BPBP

PS. For all the reasons given by the others, i agree: avoid transformers

8. Arkless Electronics

I hadn't looked at the specific balanced pre in use but a quick google of the schematic says you're quite correct:)