1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bargain Box Sets

Discussion in 'music' started by merlin, Nov 14, 2013.

1. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Bargain?!?

2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Okay, a relative bargain seeing as the box set launched with a price tag of £126 before dropping to its previous, long-standing price of £99.

3. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

Credit: read about this on the Naim forum.

With the proviso that it’s too soon to tell if it’s a bargain or not, Amazon are listing the new 14CD Bob Dylan “Rolling Thunder” box set for preorder for £59.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NHQ1GYY

4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Unavailable

5. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

Back on pre-order again now, £59.99 still.

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

7. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

14 CDs, I’m in!

.sjb

8. guey

guey pfm Member

OK, it's a download of a 4CD boxset, but £5.49 (or £7.99 if you want it at 24/44) seems like a bargain for the A Certain Ratio boxset

Netley likes this.
  9. Netley

Netley Well-Known Member

Great - only £20 cheaper than Amazon...

10. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

11. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

I have Du the Du (Casse) on two Factory 12" singles. The first is on FACUS4 where it is the lead track: Du The Du (Casse), The Fox, Flight, And Then Again.
    [​IMG]
    The Second is FACDP1204 which is a 2x12" release on Factory Australia with Flight, Blown Away, And Then Again on the frst disc and then the four tracks from FACUS4 on the second 12".
    [​IMG]
    The Factory Double was also released on Factory Italy and Factory New Zeeland, but I have never seen copies.

Du The Du (Casse) never saw a local UK release as a single and was never released on 7". Other than that it is a superb track and I possibly need to get out a bit more.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

From that box set, this is *very* good for a 'lost' track.

13. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

14. tuga

tuga European

Beware of Music Magpie CDs. I've received more than a handful with fungus, even after lots of complaining, so I no longer buy from the.

15. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Magpie not perfect but have always treated me well.
    Fungus on the CD ?!
    Not good, but won't it wash off with warm soapy water ?

16. tuga

tuga European

Fungus feeds on the polycarbonate layer. I wonder if it will feed on the surface of the laser lens...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1402533.stm

17. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I’ll bump this as it finishes tonight. I don’t know if the fungus mentioned above only affected second hand purchases, but I ought to point out that all of these are brand new CDs. I’ve gone for the Dolphy and a second hand copy of ‘Thelonious Monk Trio’ to push me over £25.

18. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

I remember that, in the days before I had CDs :)
    Nothing since 2001 that I can find plus...

Even though this fungus widespread it could only develop on a CD in high humidity and high temperature, which is not the case most of the time
    [​IMG]
    Marc Valls, National Centre for Biotechnology, Spain

19. tuga

tuga European

I have one right here, my last purchase from Music Magpie (2018):

[​IMG]

20. robs

robs pfm Member