1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC • The Planets

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

I just found out about this. Worth getting on disc when it becomes available in the colonies?

Who am I kidding, I’ll get it even if it sucks. But I hope it doesn’t. What do the fishies think?

Joe

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is very good IMO. Beautifully put together visually and I have certainly learned a fair few things I didn’t know. It really is amazing just how much more we have found out about our solar system in the past couple of decades.

There was also a Holst Planets concert with Brian Cox, image projection, scientific context etc which was worth a watch too.

cutting42 likes this.
  3. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Recorded. Daughter and I will binge watch.
    She needs to, she’s going to be an astronaut.

4. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Andrew,

When my daughter was young she wanted to be the first rabbit on Mars. I didn’t want to dissuade her, but given that the moon is much closer her being the first rabbit on the moon is much more realistic goal.

Joe

Whaleblue likes this.
  5. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Q - How long does it take to say:
    "Bad luck Mars - all that lovely water and rich atmosphere 4 billion years ago, got trashed by massive meteor storms (thanks Neptune!), but might have supported life and we're looking for evidence of that, but then the core cooled down and stopped producing a magnetic field, so the solar wind stripped away the atmosphere, and everything froze and dried up" ?
    A - About 50 minutes according to the BBC and Prof Cox.

Its all so very amazing and as usual Brian Cox overdoes the awe and wonder, but it still manages to hold one's attention no problem at all - but it could all have been done in 5-10 mins per episode!

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d happily spend 50 minutes just watching Curiosity Rover taking a ‘no hands’ selfie!

PS Here’s how (NASA).

7. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Mars and my arse... so near yet so far.

8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

You trying to get a BFR to your bum ?

9. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

No thanks - just having some homophonic fun :)

10. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Aren't these repeats?

That said, anything with Brian Cock in it is off my radar

11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Not repeats.

12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

13. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I've found the series so far very interesting and watchable. Brian Cox is easy to listen to and keeps the show rolling along very nicely, ready to offer some complexity here and there. I watch telly on a computer and for the first time, I really wished I had a screen the size of a caravan.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m not getting the Brian Cox hate at all. He seems a very decent bloke and clearly knows his stuff to exceptional depth what with being a physicist at Cern in his ‘day job’. A decent down to earth Manc too.

PS He’s also ‘one of us’, IIRC he’s got an LP12 that he’s had for decades.

Whaleblue, alan967tiger and davcoll like this.
  15. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

science 'popularizers' often get hate for whatever reason ... I think they are seen by established scientists as 'dumbing down' or simplifying the material. e.g. Carl Sagan or Stephen Hawking ... it's the only real explanation i can think of really ... have no problems with him myself ...

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I see him very much in that company as a person who is able to articulate considerable knowledge in an easy to digest and fundamentally non-snobby/elitist way. Exactly the sort of person I like to see on my TV!

17. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

When did not caring for someone's presentation style become hate ? Have I posted "Death to Brian Cox"? He does seem like a nice bloke, and very intelligent - just prefer Jim Al Khalili.

18. Alan Brown

Alan Brown Registered LUser

That really is his skill. I can watch this with my children and we all get something from it (although I confess I prefer Jim Al Khalili also).

He also has (had) Naim and a set of Royd Revelation RR2.

19. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Shows that no-one is prefect... 8-}

FWIW though, I also enjoy his programs and JAKs. Just wish the USA population had been willing to spend more over the last 50 years on NASA rather than on Star Trek and popcorn... Back then I assumed we'd have a colony on the Moon by now and people would have been to Mars. Real dissapointment that we haven't. Oh well, I guess the Indians or Chinese will get there. :)

Covkxw likes this.
  20. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I keep falling asleep during the programs, it might just be me rather than his slow delivery.

Pete