1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC • The Planets

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jun 6, 2019.

1. deanf

deanf pfm Member

And a new coat to wear when he gets there. :D

2. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Heinz Wolff must be a very close second? Also, had better hair for a mad scientist.

Ali T likes this.
  3. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I met Heinz Wolff once, he was a lovely man, very nice to a 17 year old who didn't know what he wanted out of life. Must have spent a good hour or so showing me his lab/workshop and chatting.

Jamie likes this.
  4. deebster

deebster pfm Member

I think there should be captions on screen to show when we are seeing CGI rather than a real image

vuk and MikeMA like this.
  5. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I'd agree about the captions needed to indicate CGI.

That said, I don't mind the slow delivery when the images look really good. I suspect these programs only come to seem 'slow' once the viewer has already become well aware of a lot of what is being explained.

6. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

disappointing to find out he's the presenter. not sure i hate him the way you do, but the vanity and lack of seriousness is very off-putting. does the BBC actually pay for those poncey $700 haircuts?

7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

yes!

(along similar lines, we should have an indicator for when a "news" presenter is simply repeating an official statement/lie without any scrutiny)

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

It's popular science presenting, so I'm not sure being put off by the lack of seriousness isn't missing the point, somewhat.

I presume '$700 haircut' is a figure of speech, given that he works in Manchester, or Geneva, most of the time. I presume he gets the usual BBC 'hair and makeup' attention when filming, but I'd guess what happens between him and his barber is largely his business.

Either way, your post just feels like prejudice born of intellectual snobbery, sorry.

davcoll likes this.
  9. deebster

deebster pfm Member

So just a permanent caption on the BBC then?

10. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

that is your own projection. i said nothing about the knowledge or intellectual ability of cox and have no issues on that front. it's his vanity and smiley persona that spoil everything. he should look to someone like richard attenborough for guidance on how to narrate a scientific documentary.

when he parades it on TV, then it is also the audience's business.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

He just looks like a perfectly normal bloke with a perfectly normal haircut to me. I suspect the smiling thing is nerves, he has never struck me as an egotist or whatever at all. Just a decent down-to-earth ex-muso Manc who happens to be a nuclear physicist and is able to explain quite complex science to ordinary people very well. Any pretence or snobbery on show here isn’t Cox’s IMHO!

MJS, davcoll, Ali T and 2 others like this.
  12. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Int space brilliant

[​IMG]

13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

There are captions when a real image is shown e.g. photos from Cassini.

14. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

what is actually true off-screen doesn't really matter here because we are watching a performance.

the haircut is NOT normal for a man! it's a million times from normal for a person we are supposed to take seriously.

that's the impression i've had of him in previous shows (have not seen this one). it would be interesting to run the stats on his percentage of screen time relative to others doing similar things. again, this may not be his fault, but that of the producers, but the end result is the same.

15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

"Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into your brain. This is the reason bald headed men are uptight!"

16. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

NO WE ARE NOT!

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Wow, I’ll just leave that one hanging there as a gigantic beacon of white middle-aged middle-class conservatism and pseudo-intellectual snobbery!

18. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Only Vuk (our great leader) will sanction haircuts from this moment forwards (all hail the great leader may concubines be as plentiful the grains of sand on the beach)

I am getting my wig made tonight I hope the cat has enough fur.

Pete

All hail the great leader

19. Joe

Joe pfm Member

We need a photograph of you posted here so that we have a baseline to compare to.

20. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Don't care about his hair, hometown, accent or musical past (tee hee), but the way he dismisses offhand anything that doesn't fit in with his particular mainstream science view of the universe makes me want to dropkick my TV