1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC • The Planets

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

C'mon, all decent scientists have some weird thing about them. If this was the 1940s some chump would be complaining about Einstein's hair being unruly.

Joe

2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I felt the same about 'Walking with Dinosaurs.'

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I understand the only ‘Vuk approved’ haircut is Jordan Peterson’s, one should clearly ignore teachings from long-haired losers such as Bach, Newton, Marx, Einstein etc.

4. Joe P

deebster,

Can you give an example of his doing that? I've watched a few of his program(mes) on BBC and I can't think of any.

Joe

5. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Knew someone would ask

Don't want to start a thread war but I think it was on Stargazing live and to do with faked moon landings

<ducks for cover>

6. Joe P

deebster,

Spooky, eh?

It's almost as though this forum is public and people can read what you write, then ask you about it. :)

Joe

7. Joe P

While we're on the topic of planets in our solar system, has anyone seen this recent picture from NASA's Juno probe? It's called the Jupiter Abyss.

Here's what Juno posted on its twitter feed: "Beautiful abyss: I captured this view of a dark-centered vortex on May 29, as I performed my 20th science flyby of Jupiter."

[​IMG]

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think Galileo would have peed his pants if he could see just how odd and strangely beautiful Jupiter is.

Joe

8. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Whoa, so we have sentient space vehicles now too?

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Not my projection, just my inference and interpretation of what you wrote. And I think you mean David Attenborough who, incidentally, is known for wildlife documentaries, not necessarily scientific ones. Richard Attenborough was more your Big Tame Luvvie type of chap, IIRC.

Superb though Attenborough's work is, I think the broadcasting world would be very dull if we only accepted one working model of an ideal presenter for any given context. And I think Cox trying to be Attenborough would jar even more than Cox being Cox, when that happens not to be to your taste.

Weekender likes this.
  10. Joe P

deebster,

Have you not seen The Changeling or Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

Given enough time, all space probes become sentient then either want to sterilize imperfections (Nomad) or absorb all that can be known (V'ger).

Joe

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Well, that rather depends on whether you consider Twitter users as necessarily sentient...

12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

13. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

and this is what a serious person looks like:

][​IMG]

14. Joe P

Vuk,

I know that guy. He's Colonel Klink's dad!

Joe

15. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

I must admit that the guy and his presentation style 'grates' with me and whilst I'm fighting this virus thingey off can't even bear the thought. However I have downloaded the first 3 episodes onto my PC as mp4 and will also do the same for others when they appear. So one day I might have to take the same treatment as Wednesday Addams to try and force a smile..........

Cheers,

DV

16. Joe P

I recall people complaining — not here, obviously — about Carl Sagan's presentation style in Cosmos, that he had a weird affectation, that he wore turtleneck sweaters, that he had goofy hair, that he was oversimplifying science in an attempt to appeal to the masses.

It reminded me of a truism: You can't please all of the jive turkeys all of the time.

Joe

Euan likes this.
  17. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

the problem with cox is not quirkiness, but rather the opposite: vain showmanship. in that clip you posted, he would have insisted on riding the trendy italian scooter himself and making sure the hair-in-wind close-ups were just right.

18. Joe P

Vuk,

Have you watched any of the episodes?

Joe

19. Joe P

Looking glamorous at 5Gs.

Joe

20. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Bear in mind that TV producers tend to guide the 'talent' when it comes to presentation, appearance, etc. So over a period of time the presenters tend to shift towards what the producers want. Helps people to become presenters in the first place.

Also bear in mind that - unlike arts/humanities - TV producers and excs tend to assume that any 'science' programme has to assume the audience know zip about the topic. Hence anyone who has a clue or has seen a number of 'similar' programme topics in the past will tend to find they've heard/seen a lot before.

That said, I've found some info that is new to me in the 'Planets' series. What I don't always know is how reliable it is, but that goes for many programmes.

If you want the next step, go for radio 4. :)