1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC • The Planets

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I'm not going bald. Its just that each of the hairs still on my head is a lot thinner than it used to be, and the others have emigrated to my chin.

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

not yet, but i will. he's annoying, but not that annoying enough to put me off a good scientific documentary. i have seen most of his output.

3. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Vuk,

Both the CGI and real images are amazing, the latter of which are coming from probes like the Juno spacecraft. It's worth watching even if you don't like Brian Cox or his presentation. I don't have an issue with either. (FFS, it's not like he's F ucker Carlson or Kim Cardassian, truly irritating people.)

Joe

4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I’m not deliberately riding your back on this, but can you substantiate that assertion, or is it just projection?

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m not convinced that is true. The BBC has always been a home for the fashion of the day, e.g. old episodes of Tomorrows World, The Open University, Micro Live etc are hysterically amusing now with all the enormo-lapel brown check suits, kipper ties etc, and I have not the slightest issue with that at all. I like the way these programs all become part of the wider cultural archive and that the BBC lets its presenters be themselves to a very large degree. Brian Cox, Chris Packham, Janina Ramirez, Alice Roberts, Lucy Worsley, Hannah Fry, Waldemar Januszczak etc etc all very much do their own thing in their own way. There certainly is no house look/style here, and if you see any of these people off camera they look much the same. I’d hate it if they were forced into a dull grey corporate/politician’s suit or whatever.

6. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Nice hair

7. venton

venton pfm Member

For those who are confused, any shots where the caption says 3.5 billion years ago are CGI.

Weekender and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  8. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Yes the CGI and real images are truly amazing, but as has been said before, it's not always clear which is which. To be fair to Cox he's not the only guilty party here; the mixing of CGI and real images in this type of programme has become all too common of late. I want to know whether I'm watching reality or conjecture, no matter how well informed the latter may be.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The one bit of footage that really stuck out on the last one was a NASA spacecraft launch that had obviously been lifted from YouTube as it was low-res with awful .jpg artefacts!

10. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Disappointing that scientists are not allowed to be stylish.

11. deebster

deebster pfm Member

What if it's a photo of space 3.5 billion light years away? o_O

venton likes this.
  12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

nobody is allowed to be stylish, if stylish means this:

[​IMG]

i think even golden state warriors fans would agree.

13. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Erm... is this definitely a new series? There's a BBC series "The Planets", 8 episodes, from 2014 I believe, and then there's a new Holst the planets with holst music and Brian Cox giving a bit of info on each one as far as I can see?

14. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Anything that popularises science, wonder and curiosity is a GOOD thing, getting all hung up on Brian Cox pulling more birds(if he ever wanted to) than you ever could is just sour grapes ;-)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    cutting42 likes this.
  15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

FWIW I don’t think I wore anything other than skinny black jeans, a t-shirt and a leather jacket for the whole of the 1980s, so I can’t really knock him on that. I never had a space background, which is highly disappointing to me in hindsight. I’ve always been far too lazy to have a hairstyle though. Just a #1 buzz-cut, and these days not too much left on top.

PS I’d love to see how Canadian intellectuals dress these days. I know you have the hipster single-speed and matching Leica, but we are not sure about the rest! Can’t be a corporate slave/Jordan Peterson suit, surely?

16. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Coming from a man who droned on and on about high end shaving gear...... I just ignore the comments.

17. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

hey, i thought we'd established peterson was your political moderate twin? either way, i don't think either of us dresses like him. i haven't worn a suit for over 15 years now (and that was at a wedding).

i did post a couple of self-portraits in the photo room in september. i've also explained my rules for appropriate "athletic" clothing -- essentially: would rocky I wear it? -- which covers about 75% of my outings these days.

18. deebster

deebster pfm Member

I miss Patrick Moore

MikeMA likes this.
  19. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

it's actually the opposite of "high-end." traditional and even rustic, if you consider my favourite soap.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I have never been prepared to wear any sportswear. No exceptions. Not even for cycling, which is arguably pretty dumb given I do quite a lot. I think it is a byproduct of my living in Liverpool for a long time - the people in sportswear, which seemed to be most of the population, were just not the people I’d ever mix with. Sportswear was like an ‘avoid’ badge! I was always the indie-kid/outsider/dropout type and I’ve taken that mindset through to adulthood.

PS I have never had a ‘favourite soap’.

Joe likes this.