1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC • The Planets

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jun 6, 2019.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i know what you're taking about, which is a whole category of things covered by the rocky I rule. you could also frame it as NOT wearing anything cristiano ronaldo (or a middle-aged italy/portugal fan in toronto) would.

2. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Brian Cox is married to Gia Milinovich, a nice young lady from Duluth, Minnesota.

3. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Thanks for the clarification what with it being a joke n all.

4. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

vuk, how about this early sighting?

[​IMG]

5. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I saw the Brian Cox 'show' at the Liverpool Arena a couple of months back. It was worth going, but didn't blow my mind.

Brian Cox is no doubt a decent chap, but I do think his obvious early ambitions to be a Rock Star, may have influenced his presentation style,. As someone observed above, I prefer Jim Al Khalili.

He still over does the 'awe'( and the 'millions and millions and millions of staaaaaars' ) and more worrying for me.. he seems very certain of his 'facts', in what is largely a theoretical subject.

6. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Yeah.......... bloody experts, we know best.

7. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I wasn't saying there was a *BBC* 'house style'. But that (individual) producers tend to try and shape the talent, etc. You can see this in other ways. Like the over-use of irrelevant and distracting graphics and camera effects in many past 'Horizon' episodes. Out of focus, wobblycam, flashes, slowmo, into-the-sun, etc. Which they generally wouldn't do with, say, politics, arts, or other programmes, but seemed for years to be mandated for Horizon. After a while I started looking at the end of Horizon to see the name of the producers and came to see a link with various tropes and tricks.

The effect of shaping the talent tends to vary with the talent as well as with the producer.

8. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

This gets a bit tricky when you see renderings of the cosmic background radiation, though... 8-]

venton and MikeMA like this.
  9. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

One of the trailers I saw seemed to say this was designed as an 'update' on the older series because we'd learned so much more since, and the current thinking has changed.

The 'Holst' program is related to the new astronomy series. Not yet watched/listened to it, though.

10. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

TBH having met him a few times, I don't.